High heart rate with twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Brown Eyed Gurl, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Brown Eyed Gurl

Brown Eyed Gurl Well-Known Member

Ok so I called my Dr's office yesterday and they said my heart racing was normal....but how high is to high? I took my blood pressure on my FIL's machine last night and it gives you're pulse too and the highest point it was 140 and everyone else in the house the highest theirs was my BIL and his was 88....I feel like it's making it hard to breath

2. kcole

kcole Well-Known Member

I don't remember exactly what number mine was but it was extremely high throughout my twin pregnancy. I was constantly worried but my OB kept telling me - remember, your entire body is working overtime to give the babies what they need. I wish I could answer what is too high but I honestly can't remember what my numbers were. I do remember having that same problem and I clearly remember my doc telling me not to worry. Good luck! Long, soothing breaths and take it easy!

3. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I've been dealing with this as well. I was in the hospital with a stomach bug a few weeks ago and my pulse was always over 100, sometimes 120. Normally, my pulse is in the 70's or 80's. I've mentioned it to my dr. and she said it was normal. I saw one of the other doctors in the office and he gave me an ekg to be sure it was ok and it was. I have a blood pressure machine and take it all the time. Sometimes, it's in the 80's and sometimes it's up over 100. I think it depends on what I've been doing and if I might be dehydrated. I also had been hearing my pulse in my left ear a lot and all the doctors said that is normal. That has seem to gone away lately. If you feel nervous about it, keep asking about it. 140 does seem high to me too.

4. jjokitty

jjokitty Well-Known Member

I had this problem too. Mine was usually around 120 resting, but ranged from 110 to 140. My BP was always great (except for the week before delivery due to pre-e). My OB referred me to a cardiologist at around 3 or 4 mo (?). I always think I am over-reacting when it comes to my own health so I thought the cardio would say it was normal, no big deal, but he was actually very much in favor of close monitoring and thought it was nothing to mess around with. I had visits every month, several EKGs and two echocardiograms during my pg. The good news is that your blood volume starts to level off around 5 or 6 mo I think so it doesn't get much worse after that. My cardiologist was concerned b/c I was still relatively early in the pg and it could have gotten worse as my blood volume continued to increase. Luckily for me it stablized and no underlying conditions were found. By 7 or 8 months it was actually close to normal (the dr said no higher than 100 resting). At one point I was so winded that I was put on medication -- it happened to be one that they use in pg women to help with pre-term labor so it was pretty safe -- but it made my BP drop and I was feeling light-headed all the time so we decided to stop it after only a few days. Plus the dr said it might make my HR lower but still not help with the exhaustion or breathing as my belly expanded and made it harder to breathe anyway.

So I think it depends on how early in the pg you are as to how concerning it might be. If you are still early it could be just the beginning and get worse over time. If you are later in the pg it might be as bad as it's going to get and you just have to wait it out and take it easy. I know there were times I would just be lying down and my heart would be pounding so it is hard to stay calm, but the cardio did say that it really didn't have any effect on the babies so that made me feel less anxious about it. Their heart rates are independent of yours. My cardio also had a special interest in heart disease during pg so maybe that is why he was extra cautious with me. In the end they just monitored me and that was it.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Jen

5. laurajrad

laurajrad Well-Known Member

My pulse was off the charts as well. Take a deep breath and relax. I really think you're ok.

6. mairoge

mairoge Well-Known Member

My heart rate speeds up from time to time too. I just try to relax when it happens. Doctor says that this is normal.

7. camdensmommy

camdensmommy Well-Known Member

My heart rate was up in the 140's a lot- on many of my NST's we had to verify we were hearing baby and not me, because my pulse matched their heart rates. I was concerned too- and my doc kept telling me it was ok. Just get worried if your heartrate becomes irregular or you start having chest pain!

8. Ashliemj

Ashliemj Active Member

My heart rate is fast also...I don't know the exact #...but the nurse taking my blood pressure told me that my blood pressure was a bit low and my pulse was fast. My doc said this is all normal.

9. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

Mine is normally 110-120. More if I'm nervous or walking or anything.