HFCS is now "Corn Sugar"

Discussion in 'General' started by Maymay, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Maymay

Maymay Well-Known Member

For those who try to avoid high fructose corn syrup, the Corn Refiners Association applied to the FDA to start calling it "corn sugar" in the hopes that consumers will be more apt to buy it with the new name.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39169416/?GT1=43001

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Oh for Pete's sake. :rolleyes:

3. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I was noticing that on their new commercials. It should be criminal to be so deceitful about food.

4. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

unreal!

5. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Bleh. HFCS is so gross no matter what the name. I'm trying to cut down on all added sugar in my diet and that stuff is nearly impossible to avoid. I've pretty much taken to making everything from scratch.

1 person likes this.
  6. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

But that's what it is, right? Sugar is also refined from sugar cane, and I hear they can make beet sugar. I'm not saying it's health food, but unless I'm wrong about the process, it is corn sugar.

2 people like this.
  7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I don't find it that hard to avoid--a combo of eating actual "whole" foods, buying organic, and checking labels seems to work.

1 person likes this.
  8. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Yes, technically it's sugar from corn. However, HFCS and corn syrup, like one can buy in the grocery store, are two different things.
    Here's some info I found-
    High fructose corn syrup is made from corn syrup through an enzymatic action that converts the dextrose sugar (in the corn syrup) into fructose sugar. HFCS is sweeter than corn syrup, which is why you find it in so many foods both processed and fast food, and especially sodas (the corn syrup isn’t sweet enough to be used in sodas).

1 person likes this.
  9. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Exactly! Thanks for digging that up.

Michael Pollan (sigh :wub: ) makes an interesting analogy: he says that HFCS is to regular sugar as crack is to chewing coca leaves. Our bodies can pretty much handle the regular stuff, but we are not equipped to handle the ultra-refined version.

10. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Not exactly. Sugar (both cane and beet) is extracted directly from the plant. No additional processing needed. HFCS is extracted from corn plants, boiled down, turned into a syrup, and then refined a few extra times to convert dextrose into fructose. So HFCS has a higher level of fructose versus dextrose or glucose. And it's the fructose that is extra sweet, and extra hard for our bodies to process. So yes, it's a sugar. But it's not the same kind of sugar, and should (in my opinion) be labelled differently so people know what they're getting. I don't think HFCS is evil or anything - just different enough from regular sugar that it shouldn't be passed off as something it isn't.

11 people like this.
  11. BubbleDragon

BubbleDragon Well-Known Member

This all makes me think of this quote:
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

1 person likes this.
  12. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

For me, HFCS is a problem not necessarily because it's *different* than sugar, but because it's so much cheaper than regular sugar that companies add it to *everything*! This exploits our biological drive to seek out sweet, high calorie foods for survival. You don't really need much sugar in bread (just enough to rise the yeast), but food companies add cheap HFCS to get us to eat more of it because it's tastier to us. Lots of non-sweet products have tons of added HFCS just for this reason and I think it's unnecessary. If I want to eat sweets, I'll eat sweets; I don't need extra sugar in my sandwich. :mad:

6 people like this.
  13. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

OK. So I'll admit, I'm a novice in this whole HFCS debate. I'm *trying* to pay more attention to labels, etc. Organic foods are just not in our budget at the time being. I was looking at the ketchup bottle, and noticed there was HFCS in it. I was shocked. What kind of ketchup do you all use? I never would have thought it would be in ketchup!

14. debid

debid Well-Known Member

The list of different sugar names is already ridiculously long. Hiding sugar by using a misleading name in a list of nutrition label terms people often don't understand is hardly a new concept. However, "corn sugar" is intentionally misleading and an attempt to gain the acceptance level of "cane sugar". I hope that they at least are required to say it is "refined corn sugar". IMO, all refined sugars should be disclosed in this way.

What I'd also like to know is why 90% of the bottled barbecue sauce on the shelf has HFCS as THE FIRST INGREDIENT?! Shouldn't it have more tomato than sweetener?

15. Her Royal Jennyness

Ketchup has always had sugar added, that's really not new. :p

Organic isn't in my budget either. (Single mom, 4 kids. Nothing is in my budget.) It's just frustrating to me because I can't even buy lunch meat that doesn't have a ton of added sugar in it in the off chance I'd like to serve something quick that isn't pb&j... again.

16. megkc03

Yeah...I'm sick of pbj... It's all we have around here. I do like when Boar's Head goes on sale though-it's the same price of the store brand when it is on sale. But that's rare!

17. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Companies do this to consumers all the time and it's so irritating. They "hide" ingredients by many different names. Just ask me how many different names indicate a product contains or may contain gluten! It takes me forever to food shop as I have to watch for foods which are gluten free (many ingredients to look for), dairy free (also can hide under many names), and try not to buy foods which include HFCS. I love shopping at Earth Fare because every product in the store is free of HFCS, however, it isn't always the cheapest. Still, our commitment to good quality food is a priority. And if we stick to whole grains (nonGMO), organic, and real whole foods, it becomes easier. And the farmer's market rocks. :D

Jenny brings up such a great point. Good food should not be out of anyone's price range! Admittedly, we spend a lot on food every month (probably our biggest expenditure, even more than our mortgage), and we are very blessed that we can afford to do so. But in order to afford good food, we have also sacrificed other things (ask me the last time we took a real vacation). You do learn to pick and choose more economically but there is no doubt good food just costs more.

Michael Pollan is my hero.

18. rrodman

I think even if you just get Heinz "natural" or "simply Heinz" option, you can avoid it.

19. Mama_Kim

I buy the organic Heinz at Sam's Club - fairly economical.

20. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Making your own ketchup isn't that hard. :)

21. rrodman

The hardest thing for me is my Yoplait light yogurts. All have HFCS. I really can't get Into Greek yogurt and haven't found an organic option I like as well as Yoplait. I tell myself that the health benefits of yogurt outweigh the HFCS.

22. Mama_Kim

23. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

24. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

I just made the switch from Yoplait light to greek and it took some getting used to. I get the Oikos brand and like the Fage when I can find it. Now that I have "embraced" the change, I can't imagine going back to the overly sweet Yoplait. I layer the yogurt with fresh berries and some grape nuts or high fiber cereal.

25. akameme

26. Her Royal Jennyness

Mountain High yogurt gal here. :good:

27. rrodman

I've tried Brown Cow and just had Fage Greek with honey today. I'm not loving it, but maybe I just need to commit.

28. Mama_Kim

Rachael, you can add a bit of honey to the Greek yogurt until you get used to its tangier taste. I wish I could eat it. I eat Stonyfield O'Soy or Whole Soy & Co. and on occasion SO Delicious coconut milk yogurt but I miss the tangier Greel yogurt!

29. megkc03

I can't do yogurt. I can't stand the after taste. And someone had mentioned the Greek yogurt. Can't do that either. The only one I can tolerate? Trix. :laughing: Dont worry-I don't buy it! Lol! So many good for you breakfast items, I hate: yogurt, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese/fruit. My breakfast consists of cheerios and milk. Exciting! I wish I was born with different taste buds! :laughing:

30. rrodman

See above. Tried it. Really didn't like it.

31. Mama_Kim

Okey dokey then. Just a suggestion.

32. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I love greek yogurt with honey, cinnamon & walnuts - it tastes like a dessert!! My regular grocery usually only has 2% or fat-free. I do not recommend the fat free. I prefer the full fat, when I can get it. I tell myself the health benefits of yogurt outweigh the full fat!! :laughing:

Rachael, you could try Chobani - flavored greek yogurt. They were my intro to greek yogurts. YUM!

33. akameme

I only do full fat these days - the low fat options often have more sugar. I also use coconut milk w/my cereal...

34. rrodman

No, I understand. Just already tried it.

35. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I also steer away from fat-free/low-fat - but this has no added sugar or sweeteners. I can't stand coconut milk though. I've tried it, and really wanted to like it. I like my cereal dry though anyway.:laughing: