Her poor little bum was bleeding!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Overachiever, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I got the girls to bed finally and 10 minutes later, Ainsley was thrashing around whining in her crib. I picked her up to rock her back to sleep, and she started shrieking in pain!
    I've had a cold and am totally stuffed up, so didn't notice right away, but she was pooped for the 3rd time today. They've been eating baby food and their poo is more solid and very sticky -- sorry TMI.
    I was changing her and realized that there was blood on the baby wipe!! :eek: I panicked for a minute thinking it was bloody stool, but after a careful look at everything, I think her little behind was just rubbed raw from the poopy and wipes!!
    :( My poor baby.
    I didn't put any Desitin or Arbonne cream or anything on because I couldn't decide if that would hurt her more or help or what. What do you think? Better to leave it alone or medicate? With what?
    Poor baby!!

2. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

when becca was little and got bad diaper rashes, we would put a little neosporin with boudrex butt paste, it cleared stuff right up!

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

In cases like that I use a soft warm wet washcloth (no wipes, they'll irritate the owie more) and a thick slathering of the diaper rash cream of your choice. (I prefer Boudreau's) You might want to review what she ate for the past few days to see if that might be the culprit. If you don't already giving her a bath every night will help too. If you think it's caused by yucky poop acid eating her butt (sorry TMI) you can use a little Mylanta first. It will help neutralize the stomach acid.

4. first_time_mommy_2_be_twins

first_time_mommy_2_be_twins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Her Royal Jennyness @ Jun 6 2007, 04:27 AM) [snapback]281251[/snapback]
    In cases like that I use a soft warm wet washcloth (no wipes, they'll irritate the owie more) and a thick slathering of the diaper rash cream of your choice. (I prefer Boudreau's) You might want to review what she ate for the past few days to see if that might be the culprit. If you don't already giving her a bath every night will help too. If you think it's caused by yucky poop acid eating her butt (sorry TMI) you can use a little Mylanta first. It will help neutralize the stomach acid.

I agree with Jenny. Just let her 'air out' for a minute or so before putting anything on the rash so that you are not locking in any moisture.

5. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

This happened to Lauren too, so scary! I used straight Vaseline on her and she was better so quickly. Now any sign of slight redness and I slather on Vaseline (something I heard from another mom around here) and we haven't had to use diaper rash cream in a long time.

6. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Yup, I use diaper rash cream during the day and just vaseline after their baths - works like a charm.

7. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

I would also find non-alcoholic wipes to use (or use paper towels and soap) for a week or so. THe alcohol in the wipes dries the skin and will exacerbate the problem.

Teri D

8. twomore

twomore Well-Known Member

I would definately put something on it, and a lot of it. Diaperrash cream will actually dry out the area, and protect it.

9. kristimom22

kristimom22 Well-Known Member

keira had a bad diaper rash like that where her skin got scraped off & i posted on here & got alot of feedback to use aquaphor. it did wonders- the skin healed in like 2 days! i didn't use wipes on her- either warm wet washcloth or very soft paper towel & dab, don't rub- then i sprinkled with a little baby powder (cornstarch) to dry the area, covered it with aquaphor & slathered diaper rash cream on top of that.

10. ~rosie~

~rosie~ Well-Known Member

Bag balm is medicated. It cleared up Wesley's one bad bottom episode post haste.

11. cabonnell

cabonnell Well-Known Member

No, don't just leave it. Desitin it. Globs of Desitin. Just get you a big ole handful and glob it on her boodie. It will SO heal it fast and will protect it from the next bit of poo making it worse or irritating it. Amber had this when we first brought her home and I wish I knew then what I know now. Just gently wipe her with sensitve wipes or just a damp wash cloth.

12. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

We had that last weekend. My girls have that URI crud that is going around. Well - Ellie poo'ed about 7 times in one day. It was pretty acidic and it really caused her bum to bleed! It only lasted for a couple of days then she got the sore throat and caugh!

I hope your girls feel better soon. We are 7 days now and Ellie seems to feel a little better!

13. HH996

HH996 Well-Known Member

Butt paste works like a charm. Mine hated desitin (cried even harder). We also wash out the wipes with water. Try to keep them open to air (on a waterproof surface) for several minutes a day.

14. kini27

kini27 Active Member

My girls had the same problem around this age, and we also just dabbed the area with a damp
    cloth or rinse out the wipes with water.. the alcohol in the wipes just irritates the area more!
    Then put enough desitin or diaper rash cream of your choice on it to protect it from further irritation. it should clear up
    real soon.. I know.. seeing blood on the bottom is just not nice!