Help with Semi-Curly Hair

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Kyrstyn, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Both of my girls have somewhat Semi-Curly hair, mostly towards the ends of their hair. The problem is it always looks messy, and gets super tangled. It there any kind of product that I can get to either accentuate their curls or straighten them out without their hair looking greasy? Their hair isn't long enough yet to pull it all back, so that is not an option.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd probably get their hair trimmed instead of putting something in it.

3. Kyrstyn

I've already had it trimmed. The curls are a good 3-4 inches long the bottom of their hair. If I cut them off they would be almost bald. :(

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I knew that was the wrong answer!

How about some detangler? It's just a super lightweight conditioner, should keep the tangles from getting too bad.

5. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I was thinking maybe like Johnson's "No More Tangles" or something like that. Not sure. I know for Jackson, his hair looks better when I put a light pomade in it, but that would probably not look so great on longer little girls' hair. Good luck!

6. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

Just lurking here... As a kid (with very wavy hair) we had creme rinses or spray-in conditioner. Which were just watered down conditioner. Maybe a more natural,less chemical conditioner watered down to make your own spray would work. I just looked up Burts Bees. Maybe something like that? California Baby makes a detangler but ouch! $11.49 for 8.5oz!
    Hope this helps!

7. Kyrstyn

Thanks Ladies...I guess I should have mentioned in my OP that I have tried the spray in detanglers, and I use conditioner when I wash their hair (which I only do a couple times a week) but all to no avail. Once it dries its a mess! :(

8. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My boys had those same curls at the back of their head/hair. I let their hair grow (couldn't bear to cut it!) until about a month ago - and we had horrible tangles within the curls. Of course, they are boys - and they had quite a bit of hair on top of their head as well (see avatar), but I think part of the problem is those curls on the back of the head! They seem to easily tangle. Have you talked to a salon? Maybe they would have a good product to suggest since you can't cut their hair yet.....

Good luck!!

9. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

My first thought was also a detangling spray or using conditioner. If those are not working then it sounds like maybe you need something more heavy-duty. There is a Body Shop product that I use on my hair; Coconut Hair Oil. You would probably only need to use a tiny bit each time-I only need a small amount and I have thick, very curly hair. It's like a wax paste (similar to vaseline in texture, but more solid), you just rub a little bit between your fingers to 'melt' it and then rub it through their hair. It's very mosturising and should make their hair glossy and smooth (less tangly). Also it's fairly natural, the main ingredients being oil and wax.
    Otherwise I'd suggest looking for products that are moisturising/anti-frizz creams/curl definers.

ETA: I found a couple of websites that might be helpful; naturallycurly.com and curls. Both have sections about kids hair and specific products for children. The curls site is slightly more focused on multi-ethnic hair, but still might be useful for you.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Krystyn, I agree with Zoe...as an adult and child (with naturally curly hair)...I am very familiar with the pain my mother caused trying to detangle my hair with just a brush. Naturallycurly.com is a great website and I second the recommendation! I would also speak to a hairdresser at a children's salon..it could be that the girls could also benefit from a trim or a layered cut. Good luck!

11. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I use California Baby leave-in conditioner after a bath with Ainsley, and then comb her hair with a wide-tooth comb. Do not use a brush. I also use the spray detangler sometimes. The leave-in conditioner seems to be helping with the overnight snarls. Ainsley has super-curly hair.

12. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I have semi-curly hair and to me, it always looks messy. I envy those straight bobs so much, but those people always say they love my curly bob. My DDs are starting to get enough hair that the ends are flipping up but it's not long enough to tangle yet. I've tried tons of conditioners, leave-in products, styling products, etc. on myself and have never been too happy with anything. About a month ago, I read an article in a magazine about Kate Hudson and how she styles her wavy hair. She said he uses regular conditioner and uses it like a leave-in and lets it air dry. I've been using a deep conditioner meant to be rinsed out as my after-shower styling product and I LOVE the results. It keeps the waves, but tames down the mess and it looks neater and softer. The girls' hair is much finer than mine, so I don't know if it will make their hair look greasy or not.

Let us know if you find something that works!

13. Vnesa2009

Vnesa2009 Well-Known Member

ONE HANDING THIS WITH BABIES (edit) I had that hair as a kid now its really curly! Just put infusium 23 leave in conditioner and follow the Kate Hudson advice just using the infusium insted it works great and you can get it at walmart. When they get older if it gets worse add a hair gel I just use suave.
    [/quote]

14. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

my DD has the curls but not long enough yet to curl and tangle; i how ever have curly hair that tangles very easy! i use the Johnson and Johnson Detangler(green bottle)--i spray it after a shower or if i skip my condition it works well instead of:) it smells nice and you can easily comb thru--in the day time make some mini piggy tails or pony to keep it up:)

15. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I have the curls products for my boys (Kelly, I definitely think it would work for Ainsley and Caleb.). I've emailed the woman on that site, and she's very helpful. Krystyn, I suspect your girls hair isn't quite curly enough. Very expensive ($10), but they are very good.

Here's the list of advice I've always gotten.
    1. wide tooth comb (like others said)
    2. detangle only when wet with a conditioning product
    3. Wash no more than twice a week
    4. To prevent night time tangles or other problems braid hair before bed if it's wavy, and leave it braided all the time if it's very curly.

16. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

Somebody told me that Origins makes the best detangler/shampoos for this! They're probably price-y, but my friend said it works great and leaves hair soft! I need to try it for my preschooler - that's why my friend told me about it.

www.origins.com
    I'm assuming it's the "Knot-free" line of products!