Help with mastering milestones ...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by silver_stardust, Jun 21, 2009.

1. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

Izak is desperately trying to crawl. He has figured out how to get on all fours but once there he puts his legs into a standing position and his head goes down to the ground .. and then he screams because he knows that this will not get him anywhere. So I try to put his knees to the ground and then move his hands forward and then his knees and repeat. He watches closely to what I am doing but has not grasped onto the concept yet. Does anyone have any tricks or tips on how to get this guy moving? He has been doing this for probably for 2-3 weeks and I thought maybe he would've have mastered it by now. Just wondering if anyone has had any success with something they've tried. Thanks for your time!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All you can do is keep encouraging, his brain has to make the connection to his muscles to tell them where to go! It looks so easy for us but it's more than just moving his legs and arms, his head has to be ready to control those legs and arms too!

He'll get it before you know it, and then watch out! :wub:

3. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Have you tired putting something in front of him so he can reach for it? That should help getting him moving in a forward direction.

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

It is so hard to be patient when they are SO close to achieving a milestone, but he's still really young for crawling (at least compared to my 10 month crawlers). He'll figure it out in the next week or two and in the meantime, start baby proofing!

5. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Our babies are just about the same age and we are going through this too. Ryan is soooooo deterimened and gets really p/o that he can't get where he wants to go. He looks like he's "swimming"....it's kind of funny to watch.

We sit on the floor and call to him, put toys in front of him and try not to give in too soon to his wants. Our pedi said he'll work out the frustration on his own.

Ryan is working so hard at mobility it has been interfering with his sleep (according to our Ped).

It's funny Christopher could care less....he rolls more...and if it's out of reach, he just rolls over to try for something else. It amazes me how differen't they are already.

good luck!
    reb

6. paulacraft1

paulacraft1 Well-Known Member

My DS had the same problem. His PT ( for torticollis) told us to let him try going up and down steps! It's the same movement and within a few days he was crawling! :)
    Try it!

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would just keep giving him the opportunity and he will get there. Mine didnt crawl until they were 8-9 months.

8. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I love the stairs idea...now all i have to do is find some! hahaha

9. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

Frustration equals motivation lol! Like the pp said, it takes time to learn. Once they get it though.... baby proofing will take on a hole new meaning! The first time they do it will be so much fun though. I really believe kids and even babies understand more then we give them credit for. I would put out the motivational objects, but I would also talk to your baby in a soothing and encouraging voice. Even in this learning faze, they are still building brain connecters so it's still all good.

One other thing I have done for all my guys- It sounds silly, but I crawl around on the floor for them. Let them see what it looks like. The other kids get envolved and it can be a lot of fun, silly, but fun.