Help! Transitioning from Crib to Toddler Bed

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jaslvslisa, Mar 8, 2008.

1. jaslvslisa

jaslvslisa Active Member

I haven't posted in a long time, but love reading all of the advice on here! I am in dire need of some now - my girls are 19 months old and have recently learned the fine art of climbing out of their cribs. The problem is is they are not that skilled at it, and have fallen several times. I am worried that they will hurt themselves, so the other day DH and I removed the side to their beds turning them into toddler beds. Since then it has been a nightmare for us :icon_eek:

How did you all handle this? They want to play and pull all of their clothes out of the drawers, etc. Unfortunately, my house is not huge enough to accomodate stripping their room of nothing except their beds (I wish I could do that). Last night it took me 3 hours to get them to sleep and then at 3 am, Emilie rolled out of hers and woke her sister up. Any advice that you could share with me would be greatly appreciated! Signed: Sleep deprieved in Texas....... :laughing:

2. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice for toddler beds and I know some ppl do move their kids to toddler beds early so they may have some advice. When mine started to climb out I put up a crib tent I was not ready to switch them I thought it was too early and frankly I wasn't interested in staying up all night keeping them in their bed, for my boys I don't feel they were capable of understanding to stay in bed. If it is a nightmare for you why don't you have DH put the side back up and try crib tents....my boys are still in their cribs and most likely will be until they are 3...GL!

3. jaslvslisa

jaslvslisa Active Member

QUOTE(Shadyfeline @ Mar 8 2008, 06:25 PM) [snapback]659295[/snapback]
    I don't have any advice for toddler beds and I know some ppl do move their kids to toddler beds early so they may have some advice. When mine started to climb out I put up a crib tent I was not ready to switch them I thought it was too early and frankly I wasn't interested in staying up all night keeping them in their bed, for my boys I don't feel they were capable of understanding to stay in bed. If it is a nightmare for you why don't you have DH put the side back up and try crib tents....my boys are still in their cribs and most likely will be until they are 3...GL!

Thank you so much! Frankly, I believe they are too young to transition as well. Emilie is very strong-willed, and now that she's figured out how to climb out, she will continue and my concern is their getting hurt.

I have found tents on Babies R Us! Thank you again for your advice.

4. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

have you tried crib tents? i too agree that they are too young for toddler beds even. HTH

5. kcole

kcole Well-Known Member

My DD was out of her crib at 16 months - she crawled out of her crib for the first time at 14 months! We did have the convertible cribs so all we really had to do was drop the side and it became a sort of day bed with a high lip. My boys transitioned about two months ago - right around 2 years. We didn't have too much of a problem with them getting out except the first time I found them sleeping in the same bed together - it was precious! I took a picture! Good luck!

6. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

My kids were all in beds by this age.

Get a bed rail - it will keep them from rolling out. Place it after they fall asleep if you have to. Maybe get latches for the dressers.

Be patient, they will get used to it before you know it. Idon't think they are to young to move :)