Help! They're not sleeping!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kaie05, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

Oh boy, I hate that I never get to post anything good! Our little Marleigh has not been sleeping well, at all. She's been vomiting more too it seems. I called the ped and we are going in this afternoon, but I know she isn't sick or anything. What has me so puzzled is that she's really not sleeping much. She used to sleep all day long, and while I knew that would change, she's been up since yesterday with only about 5 hours of uninterupted sleep. All the rest of the time, she's wide awake and either fussing, or just laying in her crib. Is this normal for them to be awake this much at 8 weeks?

2. stacy.alderfer@yahoo.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

My one baby that had reflux had a similar issue around 8 weeks. I think her problem was that she was too uncomfy to get to sleep, and she woke easily. One day, she was up for 10 hours straight, and I about lost my mind! The tricks that worked for her were: 1) baby Zantac (to treat the relflux and make her more comfy) 2) swaddling really tightly, and 3) allowing her to nap on her tummy when I was nearby - she seemed much more supported and comforted by this due to the pressure on her tummy, I think. They both sleep on their tummies now, and have been since about 8 weeks, and they are wonderful sleepers.

HTH!

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(Kaie05 @ Apr 30 2009, 11:01 AM) [snapback]1294914[/snapback]
    She's been vomiting more too it seems.

:wavey: Me again. You know what I am going to ask. :lol: Are you thickening?

As for the awake time, I seem to recall having a few weird days like that too.

4. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becky5 @ Apr 30 2009, 10:22 AM) [snapback]1294950[/snapback]
    :wavey: Me again. You know what I am going to ask. :lol: Are you thickening?

As for the awake time, I seem to recall having a few weird days like that too.

Nope, noth thickening still. We tried beech nut and gerber and they didnt make a difference.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kaie05 @ Apr 30 2009, 11:25 AM) [snapback]1294954[/snapback]
    Nope, noth thickening still. We tried beech nut and gerber and they didnt make a difference.

Thicken, thicken, thicken!!! It is going to be the only thing that will help!!! Start with 2 tsp per ounce.

6. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

I agree. .just took my girls in for this same exact issue and the ped said to thicken and he prescribed baby zantac. both have already made a huge improvement and it's only been one day! the girls are napping much better and last night one of my girls slept 12 hours!

7. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(orangeyaglad @ Apr 30 2009, 11:53 AM) [snapback]1295100[/snapback]
    I agree. .just took my girls in for this same exact issue and the ped said to thicken and he prescribed baby zantac. both have already made a huge improvement and it's only been one day! the girls are napping much better and last night one of my girls slept 12 hours!

I wrote before that I've already tried thickening. I have tried beech nut and gerber cereal, neither helped. They're also already on zantac.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kaie05 @ Apr 30 2009, 01:19 PM) [snapback]1295156[/snapback]
    I wrote before that I've already tried thickening. I have tried beech nut and gerber cereal, neither helped. They're also already on zantac.

Try again and add more! Between Becky and I (and I realize we arent Dr.s) but we have had 7 kids with the nasty reflux. Cereal and age will be the only thing that will help stop the vomiting.

9. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We added 2tablespoons of rice cereal per oz of liquid and Jake just had spit up not vomit. I would thicken more too. As for the sleep issue, at 2 months (adjusted) my boys would eat, sleep, play. It wound up being 1.5hrs awake and 45min-1hr asleep, repeat. And yes, repeat at night too. I was lucky if I got 2-3 hrs of consecutive sleep at night. Those were good days. It sounds like if she is just taking a bunch of cat naps, it is normal.