HELP!! They are up till 11 PM playing..UPDATED.

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by AryaAleena'smom, Nov 21, 2006.

1. AryaAleena'smom

AryaAleena'smom Well-Known Member

they are in their toddlers bed and has been since august..
    now adays they both are playing till 11PM..
    we have tried time out, taking their blanky away EVERYTHING!! Please Help!

2. AryaAleena'smom

they are in their toddlers bed and has been since august..
    now adays they both are playing till 11PM..
    we have tried time out, taking their blanky away EVERYTHING!! Please Help!

3. homewithmy3

homewithmy3 Well-Known Member

Do they sleep together or apart?

My girls were not going to sleep as quickly as they use to while sleeping in their toddler beds. At the time they were sleeping apart. As soon as I put them back together they started falling back to sleep like usual(within 5-10mmin).

Of course there are times that they stay up talking girl talk which I dont mind for 5-10min but when it goes on and on I go into their room and tell them both "NIGHT NIGHT...Dont make me come in here again..IF I have to come in AGAIN then I will be taking away your stuffed animal(its the one they sleep with)."That pretty much takes care of it.

If taking their blanky away doesnt work perhaps taking a favorite toy away will do it. Let them see you take the toy away. Tell them as soon as they are asleep you will put it back in their room. Or sometimes I will get a garbage bag and tell them that the toy will be in the garbage till they can mind. We also have a jail in our house where the toys go. The jail is my closet. Non of my kids like the
    J-A-I-L.

Going to sleep at 11pm? What time do they wake up?

Cherie
    Ramzie 6/8/00
    Malena & Sofia 6/27/03
    Oscar 10/14/91
    Chalo 2/9/93

4. CapeBretoner123

CapeBretoner123 Well-Known Member

First rule..make them know this is not allowed. No matter who many times you have to go in and lay them down..do it or they'll be late nighters forever.

TEll them its bed time not playtime. Say it twice and don't talk to them again. If you do its liek rewarding for bad behaviour. They want attention and talking to them is not good. Jsut keep walking in and laying them down. Might take a week or longer, could be 2 nights, but try it. Worked for us.
    Only allow one toy, or blankey. I found that the toys were causing a ruckuss. They wanted it then noway...just to get me in there.

There old enough to know its bedtime.GOod luck

5. AryaAleena'smom

They wake up around 8am and take a 2 hour nap also..
    i will try taking there toy away and also putting them back this week since we get a 4 day holiday [​IMG]
    will keep you updated.

6. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

quote:
    Their old enough to know its bedtime.GOod luck

Ditto.

Maybe try telling them you are going to take their big girl beds away if they do not start going to sleep in them, at bedtime.

I was also going to suggest taking toys away so that they do not think it is playtime.

7. japhy311

japhy311 Well-Known Member

quote:
    There old enough to know its bedtime.

Really?? I don't know that my two know even now that it's time for night-night...and would follow through with going to sleep on their own.

We still use crib tents. I will continue to use them until the girls are at least 3, if not longer.

8. jem0622

jem0622 Well-Known Member

My girls are still in their cribs with the crib tents on. I plan on doing this as long as possible. I would not have any play things in their room. Maybe think about shortening the nap so that they are more sleepy at night. I've had to do that with my boys once it became a problem. I would not continually go in and talk to them. They are 2! Consider removing any unnecessary furniture and put a knob cover on there so they cannot get out and let them figure it out!

HUGS

9. AryaAleena'smom

OK, i did tell them that i will take their blanki and bed time babies away, so they didn't get up and play but was up talking quietly till 10:0pm.. [​IMG] i know aleena is tired before that.. cause if i pat them she will go to sleep in 10 minutes.. but will keep trying and see what happens.

10. homewithmy3

homewithmy3 Well-Known Member

The fact that they didnt get up after you told them that their blanky and babies would be taken away means that they knew what you wanted and minded. It may take time for them to stop talking to eachother and going to sleep but atleast they are not getting up. Once they have that down I would really work on them NOT talking. Perhaps you could put a timer in their room. Tell them they can talk till the timer goes off.Set it for 10min. When the timer goes off you come into the room and tell them "No more talking and that IT is now time for sleep."

It sounds like they are off to a good start. Not getting up to play and staying in bed is a big thing. Hope you can get them to stop talking and go to sleep soon..............

Cherie
    Ramzie 6/8/00
    Malena & Sofia 6/27/03
    Oscar 10/14/91
    Chalo 2/9/93

11. pam2baby

pam2baby Well-Known Member

My girls also were staying up late, between 9-11ish and we had to finally cut out the afternoon nap. It is horrible because we have a new baby and I could really use the extra time off in the afternoon but I would rather have my evenings off with the new one and my hubby. ( No more night-time craziness!!!!)
    Sorry that's the only advice I can give, their new bedtime is around
    9-9:30 so it's a little better. We will try for 8:30 once things get settled with the baby.
    Good luck, p

Drew & Shae ( just turned 3)
    Stone Jackson ( just turned 1 month)

12. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by pam2baby:
    My girls also were staying up late, between 9-11ish and we had to finally cut out the afternoon nap. It is horrible because we have a new baby and I could really use the extra time off in the afternoon but I would rather have my evenings off with the new one and my hubby. ( No more night-time craziness!!!!)
    Sorry that's the only advice I can give, their new bedtime is around
    9-9:30 so it's a little better.

Ditto on that. Mine are night owls .. they love to sleep-in in the mornings, I wake them if they aren't awake by 9:30 and if they nap they wont go to sleep until after 11 p.m. that night. If they do fall asleep in the afternoon .. I let them sleep for no more than an hour. Hopefully once they start daycare and have to get up earlier they will get to bed at a more normal time !!

13. AryaAleena'smom

Well saturday we went to the lake and came back around 2:30 PM. They were totally exhausted and wouldn't keep there eyes open..so missing a nap won't help either. i am just planning to let them talk for a couple of days and see ( HEY can;t have to much to talk about, RIGHT?? [​IMG])