help me get these kids to bed

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Jan 23, 2012.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

7am - wake
    12 - 2 - nap

bedtime?????
    when i was working it was 715 and the kids were passed out by 745....they woke at 6.
    i need to get my sanity as i can't get these kids to bed now that we've converted them into toddler beds.

any ideas?
    is 730 too early?

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

As they get older they need less sleep. I would say if they were waking at 6 and going to sleep around 7:30 before, then waking at 7 they'd need to go to bed around 8:30. Maybe even 8pm. But it's going to take a few weeks to get them to work around to your new schedule, I'd start by putting them to bed 15 mins later for a few nights, then 15 mins more....do it gradually, not all at once.

They may or may not need the nap anymore, or you might have to cut their nap short if they aren't wanting to go to sleep at night.

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I would say bedtime between 7:30 and 8:00 is reasonable based on your schedule. We had to tweak our naptime/bedtime schedule when we transitioned our boys into toddler beds (shorter nap). It was a rough time... I really feel for you!! I am not really happy with their early wake time, but I would rather them wake early if it means they go to bed early!! For reference, we are settled on this schedule:

6:30am Wake
    12:30-2pm Nap (I wake if they want to sleep longer than 1.5 hours to preserve a struggle-free bed time)
    7:30pm Bed (asleep by 8)

Good luck!!

4. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

We do the same...

Awake 7:30AM
    Nap 12:30-3:00
    Bedtime routine
    Bath 7:00
    Read 7:30
    Bed 8:00

My boys are 2yr 3months and still in cribs.

Good luck with the transition!

5. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

ok - so maybe a bedtime cut down to 1.5 hours would be better?

my kids must nap. if they don't - they are lunatics by mid-afternoon and moving up their bedtime doesn't work. they go to bed around 8ish anyway.

so you think my schedule looks ok? maybe i'll put them in their beds around 730 and hope by 8 they are out?