Help me get rid of their colds!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, Nov 21, 2011.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Naturally...my kids get sick a week before Disney. And Thanksgiving for that matter. Now-they are not miserable in the least. Quite happy actually. But they are definitely stuffy. No real sneezing. Yet. Definitely congested. What in the world can I do to move this along?!!? Now-I know-probably nothing. And I really don't want that answer. LOL! I just don't want it to progress more than it has, ya know? The last thing I want is for my kids to be sick while we are in Disney!! We leave on Sunday!

And I've had a sore throat for well over a week now. Who the heck knows why, as I have no other symptoms(aside from waking up stuffy).

Anyone have a magic answer?!?!?!

2. twingrandma

twingrandma Well-Known Member

I always start giving my boys cherry juice when they get sick, seems to shorten it and lessen the severity of the cold. Might help.

3. megkc03

Cherry juice. Now there's something I never heard of! Thanks!

4. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

For your sore throat...I swear by honey and lemon. A teaspoon of honey with some drops of lemon...hold spoon over the stove until it bubbles...take it off and after it cools for about a minute, drizzle it down the back of your throat!

5. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Do you have a nebulizer? We do that with our kids when they get colds and it works great.

6. megkc03

You know, I was given an inhaler when they had croup. And ummm...didnt know I was supposed to keep it. So the short answer is...no.

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Humidifer in their room if you can (would be a flood if I did it with mine). Just make sure to clean it every day. Vicks vaporub on their chest can help too.

I wouldn't use an inhaler if there's no chest congestion. If they don't cough, you probably don't even need honey, but otherwise give them a spoonful here and then (just make sure it's real honey... it seems 2/3 of the 'honey' sold in stores isn't really honey... get some locally or at Trader Joe's to be sure).

In my experience it only lasts a few days though... and being out all day at Disney should actually help.

8. megkc03

Got the vaporizer going! And tonight I will add the vicks tonight too. I really hope it doesn't progress! Our colds here last 10-14 days. Ugh.

9. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

Another way to humidify is to camp out in a warm steamy bathroom.

10. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

vitamin D - it kills it in its tracks
    :)

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Probiotics three times a day can help. And for you, a super hot long bath with Epsom salts and two cloves of garlic. Then go immediately to bed while you're still warm. You sweat out the toxins. And if anyone's still sick when you leave, pick up Boiron's ColdCalm. It is awesome for relieving cold symptoms but you have to takeiteveryfew hours so only practical for a day or two.

12. megkc03

Probiotics three times a day? I picked some up at a health store-for the kids. It's a kid version-look like teddy bears. The kids LOVE them-probably because they taste like candy! :laughing: So-I can give them three times vs once/day? I feel fine overall. Minus the fact AF showed up...grumble grumble! I will tell dh though-he may need it. We know how men are when they are sick... ;)

And where can I get Boiron's?

Thank you everyone!!!

Three days!!!