Help me break the BF night cycle

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by SC, Jul 14, 2012.

1. SC

SC Well-Known Member

I have some questions for those of you who are experienced BFers.

I mainly pumped for my twins until 7.5 months. They also had formula. They slept through the night by around 6 months of age—3 months adjusted. I don’t think I realized at the time what fantastic sleepers they were.

My youngest son is nearly 8 months old. I have posted about our sleep issues before. I don’t know that they have really been issues—I was just used to what my older boys did. DS3 is EBF. He has always been nursed throughout the night. Initially it was 2x during the night, then dropped to 1, now back to 2. His typical night schedule goes something like this: nurse between 7-8pm then sleep, nurse again around 10:30-11pm then sleep, nurse again around 2am then sleep, nurse again around 5:30-6am then sleep. Up around 8am or so (I am already up with the older boys). He usually needs to be helped back to sleep during at least one of these intervals.

I am growing very weary of this schedule. I never had a problem nursing him very frequently when he was very young, obviously, and I still have no problem nursing him when I go to bed (10:30-11) and even once throughout the night around 2 or 3 if he’d sleep til 8 or so. At 8 months old and 22 lbs., it seems to me that he could really go without 1-2 of these night feedings. He nurses every 3 hrs throughout the day. We have slooooowly been adding solids.

I have been asked to go back to work part-time on a very demanding project. I simply cannot be getting 2 hrs of sleep 2x a night and work, too.

What gives here? Is this typical of EBF babies—what did/do yours do? When do they give up these night feedings or am I going to have to force it? Am I not adding enough solids soon enough (he seems waaaaay more interested in nursing and weight is no issue)? What happens with my supply if and when he ever does sleep through the night? Will my body just adjust? This is unchartered territory for me. I plan to nurse to 1 year max.
    I am happy to give him what he needs, but I question whether all of these night feedings are “needs” so much as “wants.” I am growing tired of sacrificing my physical and mental health (I’m exhausted with little energy and patience for my toddlers during the day) to nurse him every 3 hrs (or less!) 24/7.

PS. Funny--I just read the "tough love" post! My God, I cannot do this to 15 months! I should probably add that I, too, keep LO in bed with me after I nurse him at night, mostly because I'm too exhausted to move and/or fight him (but, this has only been the case for maybe 2 months tops)!

2. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Personally, I would increase the solids some if you want him to drop some of the night feedings on his own. Also, are you using a baby monitor? I found that nighttime feedings decreased after I stopped using mine. I had been responding at times I really didn't need to. Unless your house is huge or soundproofed, you will be able to hear anything you really need to respond to.

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I agree about the solids... once he is more established on solids he may sleep better. I found that oatmeal at dinner time really helped my EBF son, who didn't sleep through the night until 10 months. Also, does he use a pacifier? My son didn't and I think he needed the comfort of BF to get back to sleep. We worked on getting him to accept a lovey by letting him hold it while we nursed, day and night. He is almost 2 and still uses the same lovey for comfort. I hate to say it but if he is in your bed, he knows you are close and may want to nurse more also... that may not be helping either. Sleep issues are not fun; hopefully you will be getting more sleep SOON!!! Good luck!