Help- I'm finding this really difficult

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Lynie, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Lynie

Lynie Well-Known Member

:(

Hello everyone!

I've not been on here for a while, but thought it would be a good place to come for some support. My lovely wee twins are 10 months now and are a delight- but are also teething! They want a lot of comforting during the day and are up alot at night and I'm struggling. I've also got a 6 year old boy and three year old girl to find time for and the housework to do. I just feel that everyone else can do it all and I wonder where I'm going wrong.

My husband has just started his own company so he's working really long hours and I don't really have a lot of help.

Sorry for the moan- just wanted to hear how you all manage to get through the days and get everything that needs to be done done!

Thanks for reading!

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I lowered my expectations. I only have the girls, but both DH and I work full time so its hard to get everything done. I clean the shower while I'm in it on Saturday mornings while DH is home in case one of the girls wakes up early from a nap. The girls 'help' me fold laundry and cook dinner ('help' haha!). I pick up the house and clean the kitchen every evening right after the girls go to bed (before I sit down on the couch with my laptop!). But honestly some stuff doesn't get done on a regular basis and I've decided that I'm ok with that. :hug: and welcome back!

3. debfitz

debfitz Well-Known Member

You've got a lot going on! It sounds like your doing a great job. Sometimes the housework just has to wait and that's ok. Believe me, I have some dust bunnies hopping around sometimes and I used to be a clean freak. We've finally gotten to the point now that we have a maid service come in and help. You could get a high school helper come in for a couple hours a week and help too. You're doing a great job momma! hang in there!

4. Lynie

Lynie Well-Known Member

Thanks, I really appreciate the support!

I think I just wanted to know I'm not alone and other people find it difficult at times too. Everyone told me when I had the twins it would get easier- but sometimes I look back at those newborn days when they slept a lot as the easy time!

5. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Yes, do not worry about getting as much done. Just do what needs to get done/what you can :hug:. Maybe you can get a mother's helper on the weekends or evenings? I would highly recommend it :good:.

6. karingillin

karingillin Active Member

I'm constantly wondering if other people w/twins (and other kids) are able to get everything done and if so, HOW???? You are definitely not alone. My twins are 7 months and I am doing good to get bottles made, dishes done and toys picked up on a daily basis, laundry and vacumming done bi-weekly. In fact, I'm really proud of myself when I accomplish all of that - and that is me hustling from the time I get up until the time I go to bed w/two 12 hour work days (2 hours of commute time each day) in there. My mom also comes over on Sundays and helps me water plants, vacumm and dust -when we get to it b/c even w/the two of us working on cleaning the house we are constantly stopping to play, hold, feed, comfort etc the babies. Oh yeah, and sometimes I even cook for my husband, and brush my teeth and hair (just kidding - sort of). =)

So, great topic, and I will reiterate - you are NOT alone and I do also think about the days when the babies would just sleep - I was able to get more done, but of course, I love that they are more interactive now. Just have to let the cobwebs and dust go - spending time w/babies is much more fun and much more important and you might as well enjoy it w/o stressing b/c either way some things are just not going to get done.

7. Stephanie1074

Stephanie1074 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Lynie @ Oct 14 2008, 05:25 PM) [snapback]1026238[/snapback]
    :(

Hello everyone!

I've not been on here for a while, but thought it would be a good place to come for some support. My lovely wee twins are 10 months now and are a delight- but are also teething! They want a lot of comforting during the day and are up alot at night and I'm struggling. I've also got a 6 year old boy and three year old girl to find time for and the housework to do. I just feel that everyone else can do it all and I wonder where I'm going wrong.

My husband has just started his own company so he's working really long hours and I don't really have a lot of help.

Sorry for the moan- just wanted to hear how you all manage to get through the days and get everything that needs to be done done!

Thanks for reading!

Well, My guys are 11 months and I have an older daughter... There are days when I get stuff done, but honestly most days I get a shower and do the laundry! Don't feel bad... Taking care of two babies and TWO older children is a FULL time job!!! Just do the best you can and do the things that you gfeel are most important first... i am not a list maker, but I do have certain must - do household chores and if I only get to one then that is all I get too... You need to cut yourself some slack... I also enlist my daughter's help. She is only 4, but she brings her dishes to the kitchen for me, and will help sort laundry. She also picks up the playroom most days. Make the jobs fun for them and they will help. Good Luck! :hug:

8. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

I hear you girl--My house is always a wreck--Mine are also teething and I have a 3 yr old also--I finally gave up trying about a month ago --I just dont let anyone in when they come to the door--I hide and act like Im not home--lol

9. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I have help during the day - a housemaid that does the cleaning etc. If I didn't have her nothing would ever get done in our house! Don't feel bad, most of us struggle with keeping the house up and keeping the kids entertained/safe etc!

10. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

no words of advice, i only have 2 babies but huge :hug: for you

11. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

Wow, you´re supermum! How do you manage with 2 older kids and twins! Ive just got my B/G twins and I feel overwhelmed. Its 2.30pm for me now and Im still in my PJs!

I have got paid help every afternoon and 2 mornings a week. I would sink without it if Im completely honest. Also, my MIL comes regularly to stay and thats a BIG help.

Keep on doing the great job you´re already doing and keep hanging in there. I feel like Im sinking too, you´re not alone there.

12. Bridgett

Bridgett Well-Known Member

One thing I learned is to let things go. I used to always have things clean and would never let anyone see my house messy but now that I have the girls I would hope most people would understand. If they don't, then too bad! WHen the babies are awake I can't get anything done but that's ok because I want to spend time with them and play with them. I do sometimes get some laundry folded but that's it. We can't afford to hire anyone so I don't stress over it. As soon as they get to bed around 7:30 I start making dinner and as I'm doing that I make bottles. Then I try and pick up. If nothing else gets done, I don't worry about it. If I'm tired after dinner, I go to bed.

You are doing a great job! Just managing 4 young kids/babies is amazing! :grouphug:

13. Lynie

Lynie Well-Known Member

Thank you all again- I feel loads better now!

I can't afford anyone to come and help me either. I do get some baby-sitting help when I go to work a couple of days a week from my mum and mother in law- but then I feel like I can't ask them at other times (and they rarely offer any other help either). I just think I'll look back at this time and wonder how I got through it at all! Thanks again! :hug: