Help! I can't gain weight!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by dopey_03, Apr 14, 2009.

1. dopey_03

dopey_03 Member

I'm 35 weeks and despite eating and eating and EATING, I only gained .5 of a pound over the last two weeks. Even taking into account different clothes, that is still so sad. My boys are small and only gained about a quarter pound each week (instead of the half they were supposed too).

Any suggestions? I really am eating a lot -- tons of calories, good for you foods, junk foods, ice cream, frozen dinners, eggs, cereal, whatever.

I'd like to gain more b/c I really hope if I could gain more the boys would benefit. They are in the 3% on the size scale.

Thanks for any help.

2. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

I would tell Ensure or Boost protein shake and try to go to the pool just walk in the water for an 45 min. or just sit or stay there. it will help blood circulation for your babies

3. caba

caba Banned

I only gained 17 lbs with my first twin pregnancy. I had gastric bypass surgery years ago, so I have a hard time eating and drinking at the same time, due to the size of my stomach. Add to that the fact that the babies were pushing and making my stomach even smaller, I was having a hard time eating. So I drank a lot of my calories. I had lots of Ensures, yogurt and protein shakes. They go down easy, and don't fill your stomach for long, so you can eat sooner.

You can go to the Vitamin Store or GNC and find high calorie protein mix ... throw it in the blender with some milk and ice cream ... and what a treat!

4. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I loved my banana, protein shakes with icecream and homo milk milkshakes.
    or cheesecake I just would take a slice here and there...
    juice is high in calories.
    I would get a milkshake at the mall or pick up an egg mc muffin on the way
    Someone on here said that with a twin pg you get to eat whatever you want with NO GUILT and I think just having that mindset helped me to really enjoy it in stead of seeing gaining weight as a chore. So think of what you have always wanted to eat.... Krispy Kream donuts ? the biggie meal at Mc donalds ?? throw the odd veggie and fruit in there and you are set.

5. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

milk shakes with ice cream and bananas
    Peanut butter on whole wheat
    avocados
    cheese, sour cream, cream cheese

6. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Carnation instant breakfast is a good one too if you cant do Ensure.

7. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

I read in a twin book recently that Milk shakes are the ideal way to add on calories and fat when having trouble gaining. Good luck!

8. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

My $.02...put yourself on modified bedrest and eat/drink something with protein every two hours. Protein is very important for babies' growth and the bedrest allows any calories you ingest to be used soley for growing babies rather than your own activity.