Help from the homeschooling twin moms!

Discussion in 'General' started by Laura in Alaska, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I need help coming up with a name for my new business. I don't want to broadcast my thoughts super publicly, so I thought I'd come here to ask for help first. Here's the idea:

I have a background in small business development. I love to help people start businesses, write business plans, develop processes for their new businesses and create an identity/brand for their new business. I especially like doing this for home-based businesses because I have a special fondness in my heart for people who want to work at home so they can be with their kids. With that said, we're also a growing and learning-as-we-go homeschooling family. I know we aren't the only family out there that both works and educates at home or that would like to if they could find a way. Home-based business and homeschooling are two rapidly expanding market niches and I want to combine them to create my business.

I want to create a blog, community, forum, meetups and business start up consulting services for families that want to (or already do) work and educate at home. There are so many possibilities here that I'm getting super excited and ready to start now! But I need a name! I want to find a name for these families that makes it immediately obvious what we're about and something that could enter into the normal vernacular like "home-based business", "work at home mom", "homeschool" and "unschooling" have become part of our vocabulary. Keep in mind that this is a lifestyle that we know isn't for everyone, but one that is less about balancing work and life and more about blending or merging your life. I like the concept that most people live dual lives, even our kids (i.e., work and home or school and home), but people in our group choose to live one life..working and learning together.

Oh! And in my research, I found a study that proves that most homeschooled students don't go on to work regular jobs. They are more likely than institutionalized students to start their own businesses, freelance and work from home themselves. How is that for full circle??

Anyway, I know this is long so to get you thinking, here is my list of some words I've come up with while brainstorming. Please understand that these are super rough and just more or less a brain dump! None of these work for me, but they may get your creative juices flowing.

my singular life
    my homebased family
    the homebased family
    the cooperative family
    independent
    freelance
    achievers
    sovereign
    autonomy
    liberty
    empowered
    revolution against institutionalized families - too negative, I know
    liberation of ...
    work & learn
    seamless living
    blended families
    blended living
    liberated living
    anti-double life alliance
    life at home
    coblended

THANK YOU!!!!THANK YOU!!!!THANK YOU!!!!THANK YOU!!!!THANK YOU!!!!THANK YOU!!!!

2. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

I am thinking ;)

3. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

Thanks Aurie! But DH and I brainstormed all night and I settled on a name: "The Well Blended Life" the blog will be called "My Well Blended Life". Both are available right now as .com too. I just hope they still are when I have the money to buy them next week! I started working on a website template tonight. Here's a link to my work in progress. There's NO content yet and the pages are just placeholders so I can play with the menu, but it's a start.

4. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

I like it! It really is a great idea. I hope it catches on for you. I like the format alot!