Help for Anyone with PUPPS

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kendraplus2, Dec 7, 2006.

1. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Hi ladies ... In case you have or develop PUPPS or know someone who has it, it is TERRIBLE. I told my honey that the itching was so intense and so bad that the only thing that helped a little was to scratch it so badly that it HURT, and the pain of hard scratching took away the pain of the itch, in a way ... I wouldn't wish PUPPS on anyone. I'd scratch myself insane at 3 in the morning and just cry.

My doc suggested some lotions, Benadryl, and chamomile tea bags pressed on the rash ... I tried the lotions and Benadryl and those didn't help. I tried pretty much every lotion there is (Gold Bond, calamine, etc) and the only thing that would help for about 10 minutes was Sarna lotion, kept in the fridge, so it would go on cold and help to take away the itch for a bit.

I did some research online and found out about taking dandelion root caspules (available at a health foods store). The same day my doc prescribed some hydroxyzine, which is an antihistamine and would help me sleep. Well, it didn't help me sleep, didn't help the itch and it was a class C drug so forget that! I picked up some dandelion root at the health store, started taking 3 caspules in the AM and 3 at night ...

and the rash is pretty much GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the little red bumps have disappeared, it stopped spreading (was going down my legs), and I still itch, but nothing like I had .. more a mosquito-bite kind of itch that can be ignored or actually helped with lotion. PUPPS does not go away until after you deliver (sometimes up to 2 months or so after) and I was wondering how I would handle this without going insane ... and I feel so much better!!! The dandelion root has something to do with filtering out toxins from your liver .. I'm not questioning it, I'm just so glad I found something that actually helped me get a handle on PUPPS! I had to share, so if anyone gets it or knows someone who does, recommend dandelion root to them!!! I felt so robbed because I couldn't rub my belly (and the babies) and my honey couldn't either without setting off a terrible itch-fest ... now I can and it's just fine!!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Hi ladies ... In case you have or develop PUPPS or know someone who has it, it is TERRIBLE. I told my honey that the itching was so intense and so bad that the only thing that helped a little was to scratch it so badly that it HURT, and the pain of hard scratching took away the pain of the itch, in a way ... I wouldn't wish PUPPS on anyone. I'd scratch myself insane at 3 in the morning and just cry.

My doc suggested some lotions, Benadryl, and chamomile tea bags pressed on the rash ... I tried the lotions and Benadryl and those didn't help. I tried pretty much every lotion there is (Gold Bond, calamine, etc) and the only thing that would help for about 10 minutes was Sarna lotion, kept in the fridge, so it would go on cold and help to take away the itch for a bit.

I did some research online and found out about taking dandelion root caspules (available at a health foods store). The same day my doc prescribed some hydroxyzine, which is an antihistamine and would help me sleep. Well, it didn't help me sleep, didn't help the itch and it was a class C drug so forget that! I picked up some dandelion root at the health store, started taking 3 caspules in the AM and 3 at night ...

and the rash is pretty much GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the little red bumps have disappeared, it stopped spreading (was going down my legs), and I still itch, but nothing like I had .. more a mosquito-bite kind of itch that can be ignored or actually helped with lotion. PUPPS does not go away until after you deliver (sometimes up to 2 months or so after) and I was wondering how I would handle this without going insane ... and I feel so much better!!! The dandelion root has something to do with filtering out toxins from your liver .. I'm not questioning it, I'm just so glad I found something that actually helped me get a handle on PUPPS! I had to share, so if anyone gets it or knows someone who does, recommend dandelion root to them!!! I felt so robbed because I couldn't rub my belly (and the babies) and my honey couldn't either without setting off a terrible itch-fest ... now I can and it's just fine!!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. threetobe

threetobe Well-Known Member

I'll have to try that, thanks. Contrary to what I've read about not getting PUPPPS with a subsequent pregnancy, I'm lucky enough to have gotten it this time around, too. Argh! Last time it didn't go away with delivery at all -- it got worse and spread. I really don't want to go through that again this time so I'm going to try to stop it now, if I can. Thanks for sharing!

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am SO glad that you found something that works!!!! [​IMG]

5. khendrix

khendrix Well-Known Member

Try Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Funny name, but it works. It's a brand of diaper rash cream. I tried EVERYTHING in my prior pregnancy (every lotion, prescription and otherwise, etc.), and that's all that helped me at all. It didn't make the rash go completely away, but it DID stop the itching. That's what made me so miserable.

Another thing my WONDERFUL doctor did for me was to give me a cortisone steroid shot right after I delivered. I think she gave me the shot about 6-8 hours after delivery. My PUPPS was gone before I left the hospital, never to be seen again until a couple of weeks ago. Yuck! I forgot how miserable it was.

Good luck, gals. Don't forget to ask for that shot after delivery. I think it really, really helped.

6. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear you found something that works! Being 35 wks preggo with twins is tough enough and I don't know how you handled your suffering as long as you did.

7. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG] PUPPS sounds just terrible! I hope and pray that I don't get it! I am so sorry that you have! But it sounds like all your diligence paid off when you found dandelion root! Glad you shared it with the rest of us, just in case! Hopefully it will give you continued relief!!!!