Help finding maternity clothes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by DblStuffOreo, Jan 22, 2010.

1. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Ok ladies, I am putting out a DESPERATE SOS :help: asking for help finding maternity clothes that are (1) not complete circus tents and (2) not totally unhip. Extra bonus if it is something professional.

I am an attorney who is expecting twins in May. I am still working and I need something more than t-shirts and maternity jeans. I have been making due buying simple, non-maternity dresses with empire waists, but I am just TOO BIG now. (Plus friends were starting to comment that the hem lines of my dresses were creeping up.)

I have tried ordering from Old Navy maternity on-line, and only one out of three items (jeans) was not a total disaster. I desperately need help and appreciate any and all (1) source suggestions and (2) sizing help and hints.

About me: I am 5'8" and usually wear pants with tall or long inseams. Pre-pregnancy I weighed 130. Now I am 167 and all belly.

Thought for the day - Any designer who makes maternity clothes out of material with loud or intricate patterns needs to be drug out back and shot!

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would try and google and see what all comes up.
    To me...maternity pants never look professional. Target sells some pretty dresses and skirts, you may look there.
    I am with you on the loud intricate patterns! not good, not good at all!

3. kstjean

kstjean New Member

A Pea in the Pod has some good work stuff, and Olian (sold at Norstrom.com) makes some nice dresses and shirts. Those are where I had the most luck with work clothes.

4. Maternal America "MA" is just about the best brand I've found for well fitting, stylish, 'i actually like the way i look' maternity clothes. I use Old Navy for my wear around the house clothes (inexpensive, and don't really care if I ruin them), but for my Office/Going Out clothes, MA and Japanese Weekend are great brands. I found them at a local baby/maternity boutique, but you can find them on line. The MA pants are VERY long (which is great). I'm 5'7" and also wear my pants long, and i have 2 slacks and a pair of jeans that I have to wear my highest heels with in order to avoid hemming them (laziness, and I still like my heels). They run pretty true to your pre-pregnancy size - they're slim through the hips/butt, which I thought was nice because most maternity pants have wide hips and saggy butts (cough-cough, Old Navy).

Anyway - just my 2 cents :) Good Luck!

5. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

I like Motherhood Maternity. Also Gap has a maternity line as well. Try Mimi Maternity too( I found them pricey) You can find those store at the mall.

Friend of mine just suggested: Euphoria Maternity(online)http://www.euphoriamaternity.com/

I can understand your frustration. With my DS, I had invest alot in maternity clothes.

6. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

Target has a lot and not too pricey for day to day stuff and basics.

Motherhood Maternity is where I've gotten most of my professional clothes (I work in government). Also try craigslist, if you're a mama on a budget!

7. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

Most of mine office type came from Sears. I am an accountant and did not need to be dressy all of the time but when I met with clients I did. I got several nice pants sets. I also some separates that I loved - skirts, tanks and jackets.

8. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Thanks, ladies. You are awesome! I will check out all of your suggestions and I appreciate the help.

9. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I wore non-maternity jackets with a shell and slacks. I thought it was pretty easy to find flattering pants - I loved Noppies - the Bengaline pants. You can find these at Pickles and Ice Cream and other boutique-y shops. I got a number of silk, fine sweater knit shells/tanks from Mimi and Gap. I also had several pairs of white pants from Mimi that I loved - also to wear with non-maternity suit jackets.

If you have an outlet mall in your area, you might check to see if they have a Destination Maternity store. This is the outlet for A Pea in the Pod and Mimi. The front half of the store is a standard Motherhood, the back is clearance from the higher tier stores (they are all owned by the same company). I found a ton of good deals there - many things that were still full price at the retail store. I'm talking A Pea in the Pod pants for $9.99 rather than $148 kind of deals. Their inventory is constantly changing, so it's a place that needs to have frequent visits.

I also purchased a number of things on eBay. I have a Lilly Pulitzer obsession and purchased a number of my maternity Lillys that way.

I agree with pp about Maternal America. I also liked Meet Me in Miami. And Olian. Japanese Weekend fit me funny for some reason, but most everyone I know loves it.

I was not a big fan of maternity dresses or skirts with my first two pregnancies - they tend to look like tents, I think - but with the twins, I only wore dresses at the end because of my tremendous belly. I wore non-maternity James Perse all the way to the end - stretchy! And I also had two long CAbi (non-maternity) dresses that I wore to the very end as well.

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to suggest Target as well, I think they have Liz Lange stuff there. And I know the Kohl's here has some pretty nice maternity clothes now as well as JC Penneys.

11. MsTasha

MsTasha Well-Known Member

I would try Motherhood and JC Penny's for pants - even though I am a petite length, both carry tall sizes and have good prices. For shirts I decided last weekend to buy plus-sized tops that had a empire waist or a-line shape and had MUCH better luck finding things that were stylish and appropriate for work. I found great tops from Macy's plus size department and Lane Bryant plus sized store.

12. hsddc

hsddc Well-Known Member

I would also suggest Motherhood Maternity for some work-appropriate clothes. I work in a pretty professional environment and at Motherhood I got a pair of basic black pants, a pair of gray glen plaid pants and some black pinstriped pants. I can then pair them either with more casual sweaters or maternity button-down type shirts or with a suit jacket. I'm also tall (5'9") and I didn't have a problem with the length except if I wanted to wear a higher heel, which I'm not anymore.
    I also got some really cheap dresses that I have worn to death. I agree that dresses with a huge belly tend to look tent-like but they are so comfortable, I just don't care.
    I don't love Motherhood jeans though--I did find some well-fitted jeans at Old Navy but sounds like you weren't too crazy about them. I also got some khakis and cords at the Gap for more casual days and weekends.
    It's so difficult to feel like a balloon and then try to look professional or, heaven forbid, stylish. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I am going to wear these clothes repeatedly for the next 2.5 months and hopefully with enough mixing and matching, I won't get *too* sick of them. :)

13. heathlenore

heathlenore Well-Known Member

I've had luck online at Gap Maternity for dressier clothes!! Good luck on your search:)

14. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I feel your pain! I'm considered a "plus size" gal so finding maternity clothes for myself has been such a hassle! And your mention of loud and intricate patterns definitely applies, especially to the plus size circuit! It seems everything I find in my size is a lovely lamp shade shape and also so loud on the pattern that it really screams "HEY! Look at me!".

As far as you go, I would try Target. With my first pregnancy I was able to shop there and always found professional clothes at pretty reasonable prices. Another place to try is Gap. They usually don't have Maternity in the stores (at least they don't here) but online they have a pretty good selection and Gap seemed to be mostly professional clothing.

Good luck!

15. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Try the tunics and longer tops by James Perse @ Tobi.com. Tobi.com has insanely helpful customer service; call and provide them with your sizes and situation and they will assist you with placing an order. More expensive, but you can wear these items postpartum, as well. They also have great sales.

Top Shop carries maternity tops, knits, jeans, leggings, dresses, and lingerie. Reasonable prices.

I'm short, so I don't have any pant recommendations - good luck. For other shorties reading this, I bought everything at H&M and Forever 21. Yes, you have to sift through all of the pre-teen stuff, but you can find appropriate yet on-trend items at insanely good prices.

16. maeghanalyson

maeghanalyson Active Member

The only place I could buy stuff from was Motherhood Maternity. SO i'm no help lol