HEAVY SLEEPER/ POTTY ACCIDENTS

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by jen, Jan 18, 2008.

1. jen

jen Well-Known Member

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A HEAVY SLEEPER THAT STILL WETS THE BED????? LUKE IS 6YR 9 MO OLD AND HE STILL HAS ACCIDENTS EVERY NIGHT . I WAS THINKING OF GETTING THE POTTY PAGER THAT MY PED. REC; BUT I DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL HELP? LUKE IS A VERY HEAVY SLEEPER. IT DOES COME WITH A 30 DAY GUAR. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. ( $70.00) . JUST WANTED SOME INPUT FROM MY FRIENDS. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

2. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

My 8 year old and my 5 year old still wet the bed at night (they were both potty trained at 2 years and 4 months old). I have talked with a few different pediatricians and they have all said that late bed wetting can run in families. They have also said to not make a big deal over it. The children cannot help it and nothing that you do as a parent will help (waking them to pee, cutting off liquids at a certain time, etc).

At the age of 7 (for my now 8 year old) the doctor prescribed DDAVP (the name of the drug).....he started taking one pill about 1 hour before bedtime, and after a few weeks, we upped it to 2 pills 1 hour before bedtime, after a few more weeks we went up to 3 pills 1 hour before bedtime (all of the increases were doctors orders, not us changing how many he took on our own).......then since he was still not successful, we went off of the meds for a month or so, and then started over (my niece was successful on her first tries with the DDAVP (and her ped. gave it to her sooner than my sons ped started him).

The 5 year old wears diapers overnight and the 8 year old wear Goodnights.......sometimes we do a diaper doubler also.

ask you doctor about DDAVP!!!!!!

3. McTwinMama

McTwinMama Well-Known Member

I'll admit- I am lucky- since potty trained - my boys have wet the bed maybe 2-3 times.
    Personally though, I remember wetting the bed till about 8-9 years old. There were no meds, no goodnights, nothing when I was young.
    Finally my parents started leaving the bathroom light on- which was just across the hall, and I eventually stopped wetting the bed. They finally figured I was afraid of the dark and didnt want to get out of bed when it was dark. Of course I dont know your personal situation, but thought maybe I'd mention what helped me.

Good luck.

4. Tripsmommy

Tripsmommy Well-Known Member

There is a link between heavy sleepers, sleep apnea, and enlarged tonsils and adnoids. these children have a harder time reaching and maintaining a REM sleep pattern, therefore, once acheived cannot wake up to go to the bathroom. Thus, a wet bed in the am. Does he still have tonsils? Watch him sleep at night, even record him and take it to an ENT if you have any doubts. you can read the article at goodnights.com, I think that's it.

5. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

My boys, also deep sleepers, wet the bed every night (just about) until about 4 months ago. Just around their 6th birthday. They were wetting the beds right before they woke up. I think their bodies just needed to mature that much more and they now make it every night with a dry bed. We never did any alarms or even pull-ups. Good luck!

6. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

Holly still can't go the night dry and she just turned 7. My niece who is now 12, couldn't do it until after she was 10, and by that point she was seeing a pediatric urologist. Because I can't keep changing the bedding and because I and she need to be able to sleep at least 4 hours at a time, Holly wears an overnight pull up. She does fine with it and even takes it when she does a sleep over (actually my sister has a bag at her house just in case.) My SIL told me that the urologist told her that it is very common for children 8-10 years old to not physically be able to get through the night dry. He told her not to worry about it, until she was over 10. This is a child who has had level 4 kidney reflux that was operated on and (crossing fingers smilie inserted here) is doing well now.

One thing about Holly is that she is not a heavy sleeper, but if you wake her up she will be up all night. I can't just get her back to sleep then she is worthless the next few days.

I figure the amount I spend in pullups, is worth it for the peace of mind both Holly and I have that she wakes up in a dry bed each day.

7. BounceTigger

BounceTigger Well-Known Member

Just wanted to mention that I was a bedwetter until I was 9. My parents would wake me before they went to bed and anytime they they got up during the night to go. Although, like Molly mentioned, it may not work for every kid! Just know that it won't last forever!

8. Anna3

Anna3 Well-Known Member

I think Ellen is right - we have close friends whos son was wetting his bed every night and was a heavy sleeper too. Their pediatrician told them that latest research shows that the bladder just needs to matures enough to be able to last till morning, and there is nothing parents can do about it. Our friends were using "Good nights" pullups for their boy, who just one day grew out of this isuue and never had an accident again.

9. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

10. jennyj

jennyj Well-Known Member

we have a long family history of this and what we all have done and it worked was to get their lower back adjusted by a chiropractor and well they can explain it better but it works