Heartbeats with the Doppler

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by julie.pierce, Nov 16, 2009.

1. julie.pierce

julie.pierce Member

Hello all. I recently had an appointment with my ob at 11 weeks 5 days. The purpose of the appointment was to listen to the heartbeats. He put the doppler about halfway between my belly button and pubic bone and detected a heartbeat. He didn't bother to count the beats per minute and quickly removed the doppler and said, I can't hear two this early. I understand that but it seemed sort of strange. What was your experience with the doppler? When could two heartbeats be detected? I have an appointment with a perinatologist on Thursday and he'll do an extensive ultrasound for my first trimester screening so at least I'll hear the heartbeats then (we did hear them at a 7 week u/s). Hope everyone is doing well.

2. Zevy

Zevy Active Member

i would imagine because they are so small there is no way to really tell if you have two different babies. I'm 27 weeks and we still can sometimes get confused. Honestly, some docs don't even bother with twins and just use the ultrasounds.

3. evemomma

evemomma Well-Known Member

I heard both twins at 11 weeks with my friend's at home doppler...but she had to try FOREVER! At my 15 weeks appnt, the nurse had a hard time finding twin B b/c the placenta is upfront. I hope I just get an u/s at my next appnt this Thurs...I haven't seen my beans in awhile, I miss them!

4. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My Dr never once used a doppler during my pregnancy because she said that it was hard to tell for sure if she was hearing 2 different babies. Due to that fact, I had an u/s at every appt to check the babies.:good:

5. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I had ultrasounds at every appointment as well - my OB never used the Doppler.

6. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

We get a monthly u/s which I rely on a whole lot more than the doppler. The first time we heard both with a doppler was around 14 weeks I think. At our 10 week apt the doctor only half heartedly tried with the doppler because he said baby a was too low in my pelvis to be heard. And at our 18 week apt. dh and I both swear it was the same heartbeat...the doctor found one then moved the doppler around my belly to find the 2nd only to land back at the same spot of the first. :rolleyes: But we had an ultrasound the day before so we we're too worried. So as far as the doppler goes, it's fun to listen to, but I care more about the more precise ultrasounds :)

7. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I had an appt last week and I was 10 weeks 3 days and she did try the doppler but she said "OH! I forgot, you are the twin mommy! Let's go over to ultrasound!".

She said that's how they'd check the heart beats every time. It was a super quick one though, no just for fun lookies. She was all business and found the heartbeats and sent us on our way. However I have an extensive u/s scheduled for the day before Thanksgiving to measure them and get official due dates and do all the first trimester stuff.

:) Good luck!

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My high risk ob only did u/s also because of finding them with Doppler. Also the only rme I had an nst was in the hospital.

9. Haydie

Haydie Well-Known Member

I have been able to hear a heartbeat since maybe 10-12wks. That being said I never knew if it were two differ hb's or the same baby. I just checked to make sure I heard something. Lately I have been able to detect the difference one baby is on one side and the other opposite. I still wans't sure until the OB picked up two differ hb's today in two totally differ locations. The u/s actually confirmed the sides. lol One baby, A, is above my belly button below my ribs on my left side and B is down next to my right hip.

10. sigkap13

sigkap13 Active Member

My OB has never been able to detect both heart beats via doppler (16 weeks). We had to go to ultrasound to check on the babies after she couldn't find the heart beats. Both babies are doing great, but it's the most unsettling thing - I just wish she didn't even try and went straight to ultrasound every time!