Heart rate differences

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by j-squared, Dec 5, 2011.

1. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I just had my appointment this morning and it was the first time they've done the heart rates just with the doppler and not with ultrasound. At my last ultrasound at 19.5 weeks (I'm 23.5 now) the babies' heart rates were similar (high 150s).

This time, Baby A (girl) was 163 and Baby B (boy) was 141.

I know both of those rates are just fine but, initially, I was surprised by the big difference this time.

That said, my first son's heart rate was always in the 140s throughout my entire pregnancy (once out of the first trimester) so this little boy seems to be following that trend.

Did anyone else have big differences like that? I guess I am looking for a bit of reassurance even though, logically, I know both rates are fine and was told they are both fine.

Thanks!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Girls tend to have faster heart rates, and boys tend to have slower heart rates. Those both sound perfectly fine :)

3. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was gonna say the same thing. In my experience my boys heartrates were always about 20bpm lower than my girls. They say its an old wives tale but it was always true for me. But not until the second trimester...in the first trimester all the heartrates were about the same.

4. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree, I've heard girls tend to be faster then boys so this sound about right to me! :good:

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Your boy may have been resting as well. The rates sound perfectly normal!

6. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone. It was one of those things I know *logically* was fine but *emotionally* was finding strange, if that makes sense!

Never thought about him resting! And, come to think of it, I think Baby girl was kicking away at that point.

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I agree..at least in my experience. Both girls were in the 170's to 180's while my sons was always around 140.