He writes backwards

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cheezewhiz24, Nov 4, 2013.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not too concerned yet but one of my boys writes all of his letters backwards. I'm assuming it's just a developmental thing so thus far I haven't really pointed it out to him (treating it like a stutter). Should I be pointing it out/ having him do it 'the right way' etc?

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One of my boys does too; I don't correct him, but sometimes we practice together, where I'll write the letter and then get him to copy. Those books where you trace the letter have been really helpful too.

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

My one son does this as well.  He is 4.5 year old.  Sometimes he gets it right, sometimes it is backwards.  Also, sometimes he writes his name properly (left to right, letters correct) and sometimes he writes his name completely backwards (right to left, all letters backwards so it would real correct in a mirror).  Preschool teacher isn't worried so neither am I.  Sign of genius, maybe?!?!?!  :D

4. cheezewhiz24

It's all backwards a la DiVinci. :)

This little guy is quirky anyway (a lefty like me, smells things all the time). I guess it's another thing to add to the list.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Riley writes both directions. I don't think it's anything to worry about. They're just figuring it out. :)

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

No worries-- reversals and mirror writing is common up to age 7. By then, most kids will correct it.

One of my DDs did the writing reversals/backwards until age 7.5-- she also was ambidextrious  and did not choose an official handedness until she was 5.5. (she is a righty, but does use both hands a fair amount).

7. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

One of mine (nearly 4.5 years) also does this, almost always writing from right to left and the individual letters are correct some days and the wrong way around on others. His pre-school teachers agree that this is fine for his age, we just make sure to show him the correct way when he asks us to show him a letter or word but we don't point it out when he does it the other way around.

8. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Jack has started writing some numbers backward. I think he's bored and trying to liven things up.

9. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

One of my daughters did that. DH tried to encorage her to keep writing that way--in addition to the right way, taking it as a sign of genious--but she's 9 now, and can't write backwards.
    What freaked me out once was when the other twin once was writing numbers on our white board, and all the odd numbers were backwards and all the even numbers the right way.

10. TP

TP Well-Known Member

My Daughter had an habbit of writing Alphabets /Numbers Upside down rather than plain backwords ... She sometimes did both and it was a real skill to understand what she was writing :bubble:  ... at nearly 7 she hardly ever does that now.

11. cheezewhiz24

We went to conferences this week and the teacher gave me some insight as to why he is doing it. They use a white board a ton and when he writes left to right his hand erases what he's written. Duh- I feel like I should have picked up on this one as a left handed person. Poor kid; this kind of stuff is why lefties die something like 8 years sooner (on average).

12. Basalo

Basalo New Member

This work is excellent. I had a hard time writing a term paper. Regrettably, because of the university's workload, I started writing my homework too late. But, I was able to submit my assignment on time with the help of the website online nursing papers . Students can benefit greatly from such tools, thus I'm delighted I used this service.