He keeps removing his car seat shoulder straps

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Jul 6, 2010.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I really don't know what to do. Every time I strap them in their car seats,within minutes Josh removes his shoulder straps. It does not matter how tight I make them, he's like Houdini :pardon: He just hates having them on.

I don't even want to imagine what would happen if we were to get in a car accident.

They are only 2 1/2, he weighs around 30lbs so he's too small for a high back booster.

They have their 2 1/2 year WBV on Friday and I'll see what she recommends.

2. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Our guys do the same thing. We punish them when they do it. Our guys are smaller though at about 25 and 26 lbs and they are needing to go into a larger car seat for their shoulder height. One is complaining that his back hurts. Most high back boosters with harnesses start at 30 lbs. As SOON as we can get them into one, I think they will be more comfortable. This is one of the battles I've chosen to pick with the boys, for their safety. I think at some point the repetition and correction will get through to them. I completely understand your dilemma!

3. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Does it have the middle part that connects the two sides? We make sure that is up far enough that they can't get their arms out. I'm not sure if they have this where you live but our local fire departments can help with car seats and maybe they have an idea :pardon: My only other thought is distraction... I hope you get some good advice soon!

4. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

We are going through this at the moment. So far we have tightened straps, used a 'houdini stop' clip, tied straps with rope, safety pins, using discipline, distracting and touching the brakes to give him a fright. Nothing has worked so far. Our next step is to try a belly band (my adult sized one) with velco around him and the straps. I figure if he can't get it pushed down, he can't get his arms through. Will let you know how that goes. Any other ideas as my DS not only puts his arms through, he then twists down and unclips the main seatbelt from the back of his seat.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls started doing that at 2 1/2 and I stopped the car, told them it was DANGEROUS, and that I can't drive unless they are in their seats properly. For some reason this worked and they remember almost a year later about it being dangerous (I heard them giving a talk to their stuffed animals about it).

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do the same thing. My DD likes to Houdini out of the car seat too and this helped keep her in there. I hope you get some good advice! It's scary when they decide to do that!

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did this with Luke as well. And I added that the police will not let me drive the car unless he is buckled in properly so that he is safe. He seemed to take it better when he heard that than when he thought it was just me wanting him buckled up. Do you know any local police officers? I bet one of them would be happy to tell him he needs to stay buckled. Sometimes, I find with my kids, they will listen to someone else in authority easier than they will listen to me about these things. Luke will still occasionally tell me when I'm buckling him in that the policeman wants him buckled in to his carseat. :lol:

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ooooooh I like the idea of involving the local authorities. :diablo:
    Thankfully A&R don't care about removing their shoulder straps, they know it's dangerous and Dora says, "Seatbelts on, so we can be safe!" :puke: But if they ever do start caring, I think I'll mosey to the police station one day and see if I can't arrange a display of authority.