Has anyone had problems with Group B strep in urine?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by amybloch1913, Aug 28, 2008.

1. amybloch1913

amybloch1913 Member

My doctor just started me on antibiotics because they found Group B strep in my urine culture. She said no need to be alarmed very normal. Has anyone has this? Is it something that will go away with one round of antibiotics? Just a bit worried about taking antibiotics while pregnant. My doc says they are perfectly safe. I am 29 weeks and hate to even take a tylenol if I don't have to. Thanks

2. hardinfamily08

hardinfamily08 Well-Known Member

I had it with my Son, they found it early in the pregnancy. And retested at 28 weeks, had it then too. They did not give me anything at that point. When I was admitted into L&D to have him, I went through 2 bags of IV antibiotics. My son was just fine and I had NO sign of it at my 6 week check up. They tested me this time around and Nothing...It was a very normal thing, and many women do have it. Happens to show up the most with pregnancy.

With this pregnancy I did have to take antibiotics for a Bladder infection. But the DR gave me a low dose and stretched out the days I would take it. Cleared up with out an issue.

GOOD LUCK!!!

3. jemisaac

jemisaac Active Member

I had it with both my previous pregnancies. Only I had the antibiotics in IV while in labor. With my second he came out so fast they made us stay at the hospital an extra day just to make sure he was fine. I'm nervous about taking anything while pregnant too.

4. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

i didnt know i had GB until i was being induced with my last one. When i mentioned it to the doc this time, he said i'm probably a carrier and they will check for it later on.

5. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

My dr said Strep B is very close to things like Strep throat. Almost harmless to us and very easy to treat. But to a new born (if they get it ) needs to be treated.

6. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have a GBS urinary tract infection and that is what they are treating you for. You will need to be treated with IV antibiotics during labor no matter how many you get now. If a mom is not treated or if she is treated but her water was ruptured for a long time before she was treated, the baby may develop an infecton and need IV atibotics after birth. Once you test GBS positive in a pregnancy you will need to be treated in all subsequent labors. Good luck!

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(jemisaac @ Aug 28 2008, 02:44 PM) [snapback]952252[/snapback]
    I had it with both my previous pregnancies. Only I had the antibiotics in IV while in labor. With my second he came out so fast they made us stay at the hospital an extra day just to make sure he was fine. I'm nervous about taking anything while pregnant too.

Ditto.. you just have to be on antibiotics when you deliver vaginally. For a c-section there is no treatment needed. If you test positive for it during one pregnancy, it does not mean you will test postive for other pregnancies.

8. beckylynn

beckylynn Well-Known Member

Yep, at my first OB appt they called later and said that my urine culture showed GBS so they put me on 3 days of Amoxicillin. I had GBS with DD also but only had the IV during labor.