Has anyone found reasonably priced SPF swimwear for infants?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by allgood2000, Mar 9, 2008.

1. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

I am searching for one of those infant wet-suits that protects from the sun. I am hoping for a long-sleeve, long-pant style. This summer is sure to be tricky with a red-headed infant and 4 older boys who love to be at the pool everyday! Has anyone found a style/brand they love that costs less than this one does???

Thanks all!

2. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

www.onestepahead.com. Old Navy will also get stuff, probably closer to the summer.

3. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Two redheads here. One reason it's so hard to find reasonably-priced SPF suits is because in declaring the suit an "SPF" suit, it becomes a medical device, and subject to govt regulations, etc. So then it costs more to produce and sell, so it costs more to buy.

Good luck!

4. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

Two red heads here as well. I bought them some swim shirts at Old Navy. They were pretty cheap. They have long sleeved and short sleeved.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

One strawberry blonde girl here and I buy the One Step Ahead stuff for her. I dont really know if its reasonably priced or not, but it really works!

6. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I was just at Target & saw some stuff there...mainly the shirts, but it's worth a look! I think they were UVF 50.

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Old Navy for DD - the suit was $10.50 on sale...

8. Jayn

Jayn Well-Known Member

I'm glad you asked this! I have 2 redheads too, my 5 yr old and my new little girl. My son gets burned walking from the car to the front door!

9. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

Thank you, all!
    I thought I would buy the OneStepAhead stuff, but the sizes start at 12 months. I need 6 month size.....
    That's really interesting about the issues involved in labeling the suits with an SPF. I couldn't figure out why the Old Navy rashguards didn't have that info.! I suppose I'll just get the suit from Old Navy. It's very reasonably priced, although I was really hoping for the long sleeve/long pant style that declared an SPF. Of course I'll slather on sunscreen underneath and make sure hands, feet, and head are covered. I buy the Old Navy stuff for my older boys and think they work great, I was just hoping for something a little more 'intense' for my little guy.

10. zbartolone

zbartolone Member

I bought several swimsuits at Old Navy. They were very inexpensive because they were having a 40% off sale.
    [​IMG]