has anyone done this?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fuchsiagroan, Jul 5, 2010.

1. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

We converted Andrew's crib into a bed a couple months ago after he fell trying to climb out. His sleep has not been so hot since then. We often find him sleeping in his chair or on the floor or other odd places/positions, and he doesn't seem to like going to sleep in his bed.

Then for a couple days, we moved our mattress into his room while I was painting the master bedroom, and he fell asleep more easily than he has in ages. Of course he liked having us in there with him overnight, but even when he was alone in his room, he had a much easier time falling asleep on a mattress on the floor.

We're thinking of just replacing his bed with a big futon mattress on the floor. Has anyone tried this?

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has 5 kids and swears by this method. She just puts their toddler mattress's on the floor with the same bedding and she says that they never have a problem. It's definately worth a shot!

3. andrew/kaitlyn/smom

andrew/kaitlyn/smom Well-Known Member

When my oldest refused to sleep by himself as an infant, we bought him a twin mattress for the floor, so he could have me snuggle with him without disturbing my husband. It worked well enough that we eventually did that for all our children, and didn't even bother putting the crib up when the twins were born. It gave us a little more flexibility as far as who could sleep where, and now that everyone is a little older they can all play musical beds without disturbing DH and I.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

My girls are in converted cribs (the kind where you take one side off), but when they get too long for the crib mattresses, I plan to put twin mattresses on the floor for them. Personally, I don't think futon mattresses are very comfy, so I'd go for a regular bed mattress.

As an aside, I slept on a mattress on the floor for years as a kid and loved it. When I was 8 or 9 I decided I didn't like the bedframe my parents had bought when I was 2 or 3, so I convinced my parents to let me try just a mattress on the floor. It was so much fun to just flop down on the mattress that I didn't get another frame until I was 13. Just be aware that it's almost impossible to make the bed when it's just a mattress on the floor, so you won't see neat hospital corners in Andrew's room!

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I haven't tried it myself, but I know people who have & they have always said it works great! I would definitely give it a try, maybe start with putting his crib mattress on the floor & see how it works out before buying something bigger?

6. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

DS has been sleeping on a mattress on the floor for months now. We're going to put it on a mattress frame at some point, but it just seemed easier to start him off with it close to the ground.

7. pgmummy

pgmummy Well-Known Member

We are in a bit of a budget crunch at the moment so the plan is to put the crib mattresses on the floor when the boys starting climbing out of the crib. I don't think we'll even need bed rails. :good:

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I know a few times Ian has had issues and wanted to sleep on the floor we set up a thick quilt and then his sleeping bag on top of it - mine are still small enough to be in toddler beds but I think we'll either be going to twins or fulls by next year...