Has anyone done CIO for just the early morning?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ahmerl, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

They are waking at 5:30-5:45(Jack) or 6-6:15am(Lily) and I am having a hard time getting them back down. They seem to tired to stay up though and I am definitly not having Jack start his day at 5:30. This morning it took me an hour to get him back down and he finally fell back asleep from 6:30-7:30. Lily is going back down pretty easily. The thing is that if they take bottles at this time then it kind of ruins the 7:30 bottle that "starts" our day. I am thinking it may be best to just slowly let them cry longer each day until they sleep until 6:30. My son screams though so it would be like a mini CIO. Does it make sense to CIO in the early morning?

Thanks,
    Amy

2. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I think it's ok to CIO in the early morning, but only after you've met their needs. Once they're fed, burped, and changed, then they can go back down until it's a reasonable time to get up. I'm doing this with DS right now - he's been waking at 5-5:30. We're having some success. (Cross your fingers!)

Personally, I wouldn't worry about messing up the 7:30 bottle. If your kids are hungry earlier, why not just feed them earlier? I feed on demand here, and I swear it makes life SOOOOO much easier - all I have to worry about is feeding hungry babies, not feeding hungry babies AND coordinating it with what time they're "supposed" to eat!

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I totally agree with "Fuschia." I think its okay to let him fuss and cry. We are doing that to in this house since mine are waking between 5:15-6. I hate it. If its 6am or later I will go and get one or both. If not, they have to fuss. I am sure that the early waker is waking the other (but it doesnt happen everyday) and I am determined not to get out of bed before 6am unless absolutely necessary with one year olds. Then I just give them something to eat.

4. ksugal

ksugal Well-Known Member

Once the boys started sleeping through the night, we kept extending how long we would let them fuss until they got to the point where they were sleeping until 7 am. Now, they aren't always sleeping but we don't go into their room until 7 am ever. Jorden was waking up some mornings here recently at 545 am. Sometimes he would talk the entire time till 7 or go back to sleep for a bit. But, he has readjusted and is now back to not waking until shortly before 7 am.

5. SusieQ

SusieQ Well-Known Member

Hi Amy, are they acting super hungry at that morning feeding? What time is their bedtime bottle? They "should" be able to go 12-13 hours w/o food. I know that is not the case for all babies, and each parent can be the judge of whether or not this applies to their own. But if they aren't super hungry and could otherwise eventually fall back to sleep, then I'd probably consider CIO. I have one that would slug down a bottle no matter when it's offered, so I can't use that as a judge of his hunger. He's not a screamer though, more of a fusser. You could always try modified CIO with a time limit. For example, if he cries for 30 minutes and hasn't fallen back to sleep, then I'll try a bottle.

I think as babies get older the pattern of needing to eat right away after they wake up is more of a conditioned response. Again, this is generally speaking, and does not apply to all babies. But as you progress through the 1st year, their eating schedules/habits should start to mimic the rest of the family. Most adults/toddlers don't wake up starving. In fact it takes a couple of hours to sometimes feel that morning hunger.

Anyways, just my thought. I have an early riser too, but he doesn't eat, just plays and fusses in his crib. Sometimes he falls back to sleep, and sometimes not. He'll be up as early as 4:45, and we don't do our first bottle until between 7 and 7:30.

Good Luck!
    Suzi

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I tried CIO when mine (well, mostly Amy) were waking up at 5-5:30 (around 8-12 months, I think it was), and I have to say that it didn't really help. Most people said that if you are going to do it, set a time when you will get them up and simply don't go in before that. I could do that, but all it meant was that instead of just getting them up, we were lying in bed (or eating breakfast) listening to them cry -- not very relaxing.

What we wound up doing was just getting Amy up when she got upset, and putting her back down for an early nap if possible. That meant that at least one parent could sleep a little later. It was fairly common that Amy would wake up around 5, go down for a nap from 6:30-7:30, then leave for daycare at 8. The other benefit to getting Amy up early was that Sarah could keep sleeping, which wouldn't have happened if Amy was in there screaming.

I also wouldn't worry about the timing of that first bottle. Maybe wanting to eat when they first wake up is a conditioned response, but mine seemed to grow out of it around 12-13 months. They started being uninterested in having a bottle until they'd had a chance to wake up and play a little. (FWIW, I'm one of those adults who wakes up starving, so I guess I have a lot of sympathy for that!)

7. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

my girls HAVE to eat at 6:00 am or earlier! After they are fed, it's right back down to sleep. Then we eat our next meal (oatmeal/fruit/bottle) at 8:45.

I wouldn't try cry it out until you are sure your little guys aren't just hungry! But if they aren't, then I think CIO would be fine.