Harnesses for really mobile 14 month olds?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Debbiemichelle, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! We made it through our first year and I'm realizing that it is hard to post and answer with really mobile 14 month olds. Happy holidays to everyone!

What are your thoughts on harnesses for your babies? I cringe at the idea, except, as I've realized with many preconceived notions about parenting, they might actually be a great idea. They could each be on a harness and then I can walk with the stroller and they would be able to walk with me and we'd be one group. I'd pop them in and out of the stroller at times and also in our backpack carrier, but sometimes when they both wanted to walk it would be possible. 

Any experience using them? 

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had them for my two around that age.  I had the Eddie Bauer backpack harnesses (one child had a monkey and the other a pig) and it worked well for us (even though I did get some looks and comments at the time) but it was a help in keeping everyone together and I felt better not having to worry about one child running in one direction and one in the other.  

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Ditto what Nancy said. 

We had Monkey backpacks and the kids didn't mind them in the least. 
    Recently, we used one with our niece (I guess it was actually BIL & SIL, but we were traveling as a group) for airports and it was a lifesaver. She was in the in-between stage of walking by herself vs using a stroller and we were using the stroller for her little brother, who was 8 months at the time. She's very independent so she thought she was walking by herself and that helped with meltdowns and whatnot. She loved it when one of our two would "hold her" as she put it. And it really did make life in the airport much easier. 

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bought one with my oldest child, but never needed it.  He was quite content to stay with us.  Our second child did pretty well as well.  And then I had twins ;)  I bought two from safety first I think it was, they were just nylon straps with velcro, small enough to keep them in the diaper bag with me all the time.  LOVED them.  We used them all the time!  Baseball and soccer games with my older 2 kids, zoo trips, children's museum trips....etc.  Very handy.

5. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

There was a window when harnesses would have been helpful and i think a lot depends on your town and the lay out and busyness of the places you go.  I never thought they were necessary until i was faced with the responsibility of two toddlers (who were getting faster by the day!).  Now i completely support the use of harnesses.
    I thought about buying them, but i am a slow shopper and never got around to it.  In the mean time, i alternated putting one in the ergo carrier and worked with the other to stay with me. i only had the two so i could concentrate 100% on who was walking. I was surprised how fast they became cooperative and how quickly they picked up that this was SERIOUS BUSINESS.    

On other side, i wonder if they would have learned the rules slower with a harness, since mom would be more relaxed.  but the plus side is 'you would be more relaxed!'.  I know the first few trips with just me and them walking were stressful!  Kind of like the first time i ever took them out alone.  
    I think i can, I think i can!.. lol

1 person likes this.
  6. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I plan on using them this summer when we go to the beach.

7. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks for the thoughts everyone. I figured this was one place I could ask and people would understand the challenges of two walking around when they still aren't really following directions. I think I might follow in the same way as you, Amy. I am a really slow shopper so by the time I get around to getting them they probably will be ready to really work with me and follow directions for going that. 

1 person likes this.