hair clips they can't pull out

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ruthjulia, Oct 20, 2007.

1. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

alisha's hair is crazy - SUPER curly but very fine. it didn't start to grow until she was 18 months. now, it is pretty long in back (3-4 inches) but is only about an inch in front/ on top (and the sides are just starting to come in).

anyway - it's getting to the point where i need to put clips in it - and she LOVES having "bows" in her hair - but she loves them so much she pulls them out to play with. plus, since her hair is so fine i need something that grips. right now i'm using those hard plastic clips that come in a box with a few colors and different shapes - purple flowers, pink bows, blue dogs, etc. - they have the little teeth on them so they stay in fine - BUT she can pull them out easily.

any suggestions? it's not yet long enough to put in a pony tail holder on top - as soon as it is i will probably have her in pig tails a LOT! lol.

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

My dd had barely any hair and we used those tiny little ouchless hair rubber bands. Then I bought some bows on alligator clips (bought some on ebay and made some myself) and put those right on the mini-pony tails. She never took them out. BUT, everytime I go to put a barrette in, she still rips them right out. Go figure. But the alligator clips work well.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Audrey started to get longer hair in front and her hair would get in her eyes. I tried and tried and tried to get a barrette in her hair, but she wouldn't have it. Finally I resorted to pig tails on top of her head (sides) to get her hair out of her eyes. Now she tolerates barrettes. Good luck! Audrey has fine hair too. So, everything seems to come our eventually, even without her help.

4. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

There was another thread somewhere about barrettes/bows & another mom said she ordered her from this website. They look so cute! So I just ordered some today & hope they work well.

5. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

My dd Lorien has always been like that. She has very fine, hair and the clips would just slide out of her hair or if she pulled on them, it was effortless for her to get them out. I had no luck either with the little mini scrunchy things. She pulled those right out too. It didn't help matters that dh taught her how to sling shot them so she would pull them out of her hair to sling shoot them. And when she couldn't find hers, she would go after the one in her sister's hair :rolleyes: . Her hair took a lot longer to grow than Arwens but just yesterday, she started letting me put them in her hair. I think she is finally starting to find the hair in her eyes annoying because she is not pulling it out (at least not as often). I was not able to find a magical clip that would stay in. I think it was also a personality thing with her because she not only didn't like things in her hair but she hated any kind of hat, hood, sunglasses, stickers on her hand. She just would take it right off. Now she is starting to put hats on, and wear sunglasses and everything so I'm guessing she just wasn't ready for it.

6. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

When you find some, let me know. I need to put a barrette in Bea's hair to keep it out of her eyes, as she now freaks about having her bangs cut. But, she pulls them all out repeatedly. Ainsley still doesn't have enough hair to really need one, but she will ask for one just beacause Bea does, but they fall right out. Bea won't let me use the ouchless rubber bands either.

7. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

I have not tried these yet because DD barely has enough hair... but soon I want to try the No Slippy Hair Clippys hairbows.
    A few moms at playgroup have raved that they stay in very well.

8. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

i found some metal snap clips at walmart that have a squishy gel like coating on the clip part. They work pretty well for Emily, who also has fine hair. They aren't the cutest things, but they are small enough that she doesn't notice them in her hair, thus she doesn't pull them out most of the time.

9. Nancy H-J

Nancy H-J Well-Known Member

My 5 yr old STILL pulls hair clips out of her hair. The only thing that may stop or slow down the behavior that I can think of is consistency. I'm not consistent in putting clips in her hair so every time I do, she pulls them out and plays with them and tries to put them back in.

10. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

Jessica had barely any hair when we started with the ouchless mini rubberbands to get the hair out of her eyes. It was so fine but growing long on top. Katelyn had even less hair and would insist on having ponytails too. It took some doing, but they even were able to work in her barely there hair! For bows, I like the ones on the alligator clips and the girls leave those in now, but we've made a big deal about showing them their pretty bows in the mirror and taking them out for the day if they remove them.

11. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(naomi02 @ Oct 20 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]459632[/snapback]
    There was another thread somewhere about barrettes/bows & another mom said she ordered her from this website. They look so cute! So I just ordered some today & hope they work well.

That was me! :D I LOVE LOVE LOVE these bows. They are lined with felt so they stay put, BUT she would be able to slide them right out if she wanted to. So far I have managed to train my girls to keep them in (they have been wearing them at least a couple of times a week since they were about 5-6 months old).

12. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

excuse my ignorance, but what's an alligator clip?

i have the ouchless rubber bands, but they won't work for the hair on the top of her head yet. i did put in two pigtail puffs on the tops/sides of her head for the longer hair in back - it looked soooooooooo cute! BUT she wanted them out INSTANTLY and i still had the issue of the hair on the front which isn't long enough to fit into the pitgtails yet. once that hair is long enough to fit, i will need to start insisting on the pigtails - otherwise it will just get too tangled/ matted. argh!

13. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ruthjulia @ Oct 22 2007, 05:31 PM) [snapback]461833[/snapback]
    excuse my ignorance, but what's an alligator clip?

i have the ouchless rubber bands, but they won't work for the hair on the top of her head yet. i did put in two pigtail puffs on the tops/sides of her head for the longer hair in back - it looked soooooooooo cute! BUT she wanted them out INSTANTLY and i still had the issue of the hair on the front which isn't long enough to fit into the pitgtails yet. once that hair is long enough to fit, i will need to start insisting on the pigtails - otherwise it will just get too tangled/ matted. argh!

An alligator clip opens by pinching the end of the clip which makes it open like an alligator's mouth. There is the metal clip running under the bow and another right on top of that. When you squeeze the end, it opens to put it in or take it out.

14. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I don't really have a solution, just a question. My Rachel's hair is very fine and there isn't much of it, but I started getting it cut (two times now) and it is getting thicker by the day. Have you been getting her haircut regularly? That should help thicken it up so things will stay easier and she won't be able to pull things out as much? She lets me put in a little ponytail or a barrette. The barrettes tend to fall out if I don't put them around the ponytail.