GRRR... no ultrasound at first appointment

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by weegus, Nov 29, 2011.

1. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I am so disappointed. I had my first checkup yesterday (9 weeks) and my doctor did not do doppler for a heartbeat AND had to reschedule my ultrasound. For my first two pregnancies, I heard heartbeats at 8 and 9 weeks... the same doctor said they don't do it until 10 weeks now. What the heck! She didn't even say I was pregnant (not that I need her to, I am sick all day and my belly is huge... there is no question in my mind)! I didn't get a due date either. She wants to do a dating ultrasound since my other two pregnancies were early and my babies were big for their gestation. What a colossal waste of time! Now I have to wait 3 whole days to share the news!

2. marikaclare

marikaclare Well-Known Member

Ugh...I'm sorry, waiting is so hard! Hoping that the days fly by...somehow!

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I would have been furious! What was the point of even going?

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So... What was the point of the appointment, exactly? :huh:

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

That's awful! I'd be mad... BTW, congratulations!!!!

6. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am wondering what the point was, too!!! What is worse, my husband took off work so he could be a part of the ultrasound and we had a babysitter for the appointment... ALL FOR NOTHING! Now I have to hunt down another sitter for Thursday and my husband can't take off work again! Are all doctor's offices this inconsiderate?!?!

7. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Here in Canada, you usually get 1 ultrasound depending on the practice and that is at 20 weeks. I had one early with the twins because of bleeding, but had I not I would have only had my first at 20 weeks and would have had a HUGE surprise. I don't understand why they didn't do the doppler though. Hopefully the next 3 days go fast

8. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

That's frustrating. I know my doctors office doesn't typically do a doppler that early because it is hard to find a heartbeat and causes more stress if you don't hear it. They almost always pull out the portable ultrasound to check for a heartbeat though. I've never had to make an appointment separately for a first ultrasound.

Did they at least do all your prenatal bloodwork? I would think they would also have figured out a due date based on your lmp. They can do that with their nifty little wheel in about 30 sec.

9. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Strange, I would've been upset too! I'm sorry they waster your and your DH's time!

10. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Well the day finally came and we are happily expecting one healthy baby bean!! The heart rate is 183, which is WAY higher than any of my boys' were so I am starting to get my hopes up for a baby girl!!

1 person likes this.
  11. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations!!! :wub:

12. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Yep.
    In MN, same thing. ONE u/s at 20 weeks UNLESS there is something wrong.. Standard. This is why I had "cramping" at 5 and 1/2 weeks this time ;)

13. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

14. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Generally one here, too...unless there is a family history of twins and the mw gives you a sneak peak ;)

15. carrie-

carrie- Well-Known Member

Good luck... sending you PINK vibes from me!!!!

16. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Congrats on the little one! Did you get a due date?

17. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Due date based on the ultrasound is July 4th, the same day I got off an internet due date calculator (based on LMP)!!

18. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

When I went in for my first appt. when I got pregnant with Evan & his angel, the doctor did not do an ultrasound at that appt. Just confirmed that I was pregnant. Because I did not know exactly when I 'got' pregnant, I got to have an early ultrasound, but I had to schedule it for a different day. I did not expect an ultrasound at my first appt. although I was certainly hoping for one.

Glad you got to see your little bean! Yes, that is a high heartrate.. :::girl vibes:::