Growth slowing at 5 yrs old?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Leighann, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

The girls had their 5 yr well visit yesterday and for the first time, we had a conversation about their growth. Since 4 months old they have always been following their curves beuatifully. But in the last year, while they have followed their curve for height, they both went down for weight. Ana was just sick so I think that might be what is going in with her ( plus she is 90th percentile for height and 75th for weight so the pedi isnt super concerned).

Meara has been 50th for both since about 2, but now she is between 10th and 25th for weight (still 50th for height). She has been to a gi doctor because of some other things and my history of crohn's disease. She eats just as much as her sister, and is healthy and active. I'm trying not to worry too much and hopefully she is just in the "thinning out" portion of a growth spurt, but one of the earliest symptoms of my crohn's was falling off my growth curve at 5 (but I went from 5th to not on the chart).

Who else had kids who slowed down in growth around this age? They are both very active kids, but they get plenty to eat. They aren't really picky eaters and mostly eat what we eat. I guess I could try to pump up meara's food with some full fat options (add full fat yogurt to her smoothie, cook with whole milk, etc), offer her more snacks in between meals (peanut butter, cheese, etc).

2. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sarah's growth has definitely slowed since kindergarten. She's getting 2 years out of pants and 2 years out of boots. She's only about 50 lbs and 50 inches tall. Sarah doesn't tend to be a snacker, but eats well at meals.

Timothy doesn't seemed to have slowed as much. He's still getting 1 year out of pants, if that, and 6 monthish out of shoes.

I don't know if it's a boy/girl difference or just a difference in kids, or a reflection of Sarah's kidney issues. But a definite height difference appeared between the kids during kindergarten with Timothy being about 3 inches taller.

Marissa

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

The girls didn't grow much during 5. At six we've been thru 2 sizes in 6mths. From jazz in a 6 to an 8 and Jess in a 5 to a 6x-7

4. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

That a really good question about the growth spurt at 5-6 yrs old. I was wondering the same thing for my boy/girl. I do know that my son keep having those growth spurt (every 3-4 months) half inch more. My daughter just stayed the same nothing.....make me worried because I brought several nice clothes for Fall/Winter in size 7. She has been wearing size 6 for a year now and still remains that way. We still have at least 6 months until their next birthday in Sept when they will turn 6. They'll be going to Kindergarten this Fall (missed the cut off date from last year).

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My two haven't grown much either since they were 5. I'm sure they'll have a spurt where they'll go through 3 pants sizes in a year!

6. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest did that somewhere around 5-7. I can't remember exactly but the dr did talk to me about her weight. She was always in the 10-15% for height and about the same for weight and fell to about the 3% or below line. They said it could just be that she was thinning out or overdue for a growth spurt. She just said to make sure that she is getting enough to eat. She eventually did grow and now at 12 years old she is about 25% for both. Is the dr worried she could have crohn's as well? None of mine have had their growth spurts at the same time...all on their own time. Hopefully thats the case here. Or she just might be tall and lean!

7. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

At their 5 year well visit, Lily went down in the percentiles (from 10-25th to 5-10th). I recently had her at the pediatrician for a strep test, and at the weight they weighed her in at she's going to go down to 3rd percentile. She turns 6 in a week, but her well visit isn't until 5/1. I told DH we needed to bulk her up to keep her at least in the percentile she was in last year.

For the drop at age 5, pedi just asked if she was active (which she is). She eats reasonably well. She can be picky, but not terribly so. But if she drops percentiles 2 years in a row I think the pedi will probably investigate further.

Grace has always been in the 5-10th percentile and remains there. They are both mid-30's in weight.

8. Leighann

Thanks everyone. Jen they are slightly concerned about her risk for Crohn's. She has some other issues that seem "crohn-ish" but until now have been largely ignored because she was growing so beautifully. The GI and pedi agree that we just need to keep an eye on her... Thankfully she is growing taller at least. Thats a good sign.

9. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

My DDs are 6 and one has had weight/height slow down over the past two years- she does have digestive issues (sees a GI regularly)

The other DD has been pretty steady percentile-wise.

FWIW- they are fairly small framed, but average ish height (DD2 30% and DD1 50%), low weight (DD2 3% , DD2 30%).

At age 6:

DD2 44" and 37.5 lbs (BMI low)
    DD1 46" and 43 lbs (BMI normal)

Keep in mind height to weight ratio. A 37 lbs 6 year old that is short is different than one that is very tall for age.

They are active and 'look' healthy do our PEDIs (three in three years due to moving) have been fairly happy with watching it so far. I am very slight-framed bonewise so that has to play into it genetically.
    They both still drink whole milk though, they could use the extra fat!

10. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Our A has Crohn's and you gave me some great info after he was diagnosed. Strangely, falling off his growth chart was never one of the symptoms. In fact, he's slightly bigger than his brother.
    I really don't like the focus on weight that doctors tend to have - and push on to us parents. If a child is growing, has plenty of energy, is learning well in school, etc, then weight is something I don't worry about. Our boys are now eight years old. A - with Crohn's - is about 58 pounds. He's gained only about 4-5 pounds in a year. J is about 54 pounds. Both will be in a booster until junior high at the rate they are gaining weight. I often hear that a child should use a booster until 8 and 80 pounds, but I can't imagine having an 8 year old who weighs 80 pounds.

11. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Peyton who is 6 has seemed to have just recently picked up growing again. I swear when she was 5, she was in the same size clothing AND shoes forever. So, I think it may be the age.

Actually, the new recommendations are to use a booster:
    So it's not the weight that is an issue, but the height since it's more important as to having the seatbelt fall properly across the child.

12. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I didn't notice a drop off at 5, more of a steadying...however the closer they get to 6 they are growing like weeds!!! Abby's up to 42 lbs but has finally grown herself an a$$ - for the first 5 years of her life the child had no junk in her trunk LOL!!! Ian however still suffers from noassatall syndrome - he's up to nearly 46 lbs and has about 3 or so inches on his sister...

they are both in size 6 pants, although with elastic waists (like gym shorts) Ian can still wear a 4...

13. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

omg :rotflmbo: That is so my Mitchell!!

14. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think sydney has gained any weight this year. She seems to weigh between 42 and 45 pounds. She is probably 48 1/2 inches tall. If not 49 inches. Dani is about the same height but about 55 pounds. Sydney has such long legs, on Sunday she was in a skirth that i sewed an X on the waist bend so they would stay up, and even though the waist is still big, the skirt is probably too short. Here is a picture of them.

15. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, did the GI doc test her for celiac? A week ago my answer would have been "perfectly normal, don't worry about it," but my DD Sarah was just diagnosed with celiac, so I'm seeing it everywhere. I don't want to freak you out, but just wondered if you'd considered that already. Sarah doesn't have dramatic symptoms, but has barely gained weight in 2 years and complains of stomachaches a lot (which is why we had her tested for allergies and other issues).

16. Leighann

Alden I've thought about celiac too. They ordered a bunch of blood work including an ibd panel, but I will have to see if they ordered that too. I've been putting off taking her to get it done... Bad mommy.

She goes to the bathroom a lot, complains of stomach pains, has some ibd-ish skin tags, etc. I wasn't worried when she was gaining weight, but now that the pedi said something about her weight, it puts everything into a different light... Which is strange because like mellizos I think too much emphasis is on kids weight.

Funny, I just noticed that she and Sarah share a middle name. Good luck with Sarah. The good thing (?) about celiac is you can help her control it. Although cutting gluten out of 6 yr olds diet can be difficult, thankfully there is a lot gluten free foods available now.