Group B strep and c-section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Heathermomof5, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am having a c-section - it is scheduled for 01-03-07.
    at my last visit the nurse told me that at this visit they would
    check me for group b strep - well at my appt. today it was never mentioned - I wonder if she just didn't realize that i am having a c-section or if I really should be tested anyway?? is group b strep something that would only be a problem with a vaginal birth? what if my water breaks before 01-03-07 (both babies are breech)

I guess my appt went good today - they could not get both babies to cooperate for the NST so they did (and I am not joking) a 3 minute ultrasound to check heartbeats (151 & 155) and that was it!!
    I am glad that I go to the peri. tomorrow!!

2. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am having a c-section - it is scheduled for 01-03-07.
    at my last visit the nurse told me that at this visit they would
    check me for group b strep - well at my appt. today it was never mentioned - I wonder if she just didn't realize that i am having a c-section or if I really should be tested anyway?? is group b strep something that would only be a problem with a vaginal birth? what if my water breaks before 01-03-07 (both babies are breech)

I guess my appt went good today - they could not get both babies to cooperate for the NST so they did (and I am not joking) a 3 minute ultrasound to check heartbeats (151 & 155) and that was it!!
    I am glad that I go to the peri. tomorrow!!

3. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I had group B with both my first 2 kids and had them vaginally. They like to give you antibiotics intravenously when you are in labor, that's why they want to know before you go into labor. It's not a big deal. IT is irrelevant for a c-sec.

Glad your appt went well.

4. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

oh, this is something I hadn't thought of. i guess it is possible that they don't need to check for strep b if it's a C-section. I neve had a planned one b-4, and I always get IV antibiotics anyway, but it has nothing to do with any infections I get, it's the ones they're afraid I may get. but that's a long story. I'm gonna ask my Dr. at my next visit. now I'm curious. hhhmmm.....
    Michelle

5. NikkiM7777

NikkiM7777 Active Member

I had the same thought since I am having a repeat c-section.

I didn't ask the dr why but I assume that it is important to know anyways just in case I go into labor and deliever the baby(ies) before they can do the c-section.

I guess it is better to know more than not enough.

Nikki

6. Darling1111

Darling1111 Well-Known Member

I had group step B with this pregnancy. I had to have a c-section and was told I didn't need to worry about it because I was having a c-section.

7. ABeeCDandE!

ABeeCDandE! Well-Known Member

We always knew I would be having a c-section, but they checked for Group B anyway as well. Not sure why, but they did for me too.

8. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

Steph had the strep B test about a week before her c/s..
    Lindy