grocery shopping without the stroller

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by irisflower, Sep 29, 2009.

1. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to hear some grocery store stories from everyone! I was amazed how entertaining a box of wagonwheel pasta could be to shake.

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I take mine grocery shopping all the time and really they're pretty good about it. But I try to stick to stores that have carts with two spots, and there aren't many of those.

3. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I wish more stores would have 2 seat carts; it would make our lives so much easier. Last week I used one of those carts with the car on the front. They enjoyed it for most of the trip, but towards the end, Jake wanted out. Plus the shopping cart is about half the size so you can't do too much shopping.

I still do the push the stroller, pull the cart. It still amazes me how many looks I get.

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I still do the push the stroller pull the cart b/c I bribe my children with snacks the entire time. Thank goodness for snack trays! It doesn't hurt that I plan our shopping trips around snack time. :) Good for you for doing it w/out the stroller! I can only do that if I'm getting 5 items or less before they get sick of the cart.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we've done it a couple of times (i also insist on going to stores with two seat carts though) & usually i'll only go if someone else is coming with me. i much prefer grocery shopping with just one of the girls or even better no babies at all! it's so much more efficient & relaxing. :D

6. betha

betha Well-Known Member

I've gone to target and used the wagon thing that holds two kids. I've gone to Costco multiple times, and they have carts for two. I usually bring a friend along because she likes to shop there. I haven't done the stroller and pull a cart thing. It just seems like a hassle. I usually run errands when I have a babysitter or I take one of the kids while my husband is at home with the other. It's really nice to just shop with one!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I usually put the kids in the two seat cart but those are really hard to come buy at supermarkets and Target. So I typically take them both when I only have a few items to get. Usually DH and I will take them grocery shopping and put them in two carts. Sam's Club has carts big enough for two so I can take them there to do some big shopping by myself.

8. irisflower

I put them both in the same seat (with 2 leg holes) since I heard about that tip to get them to fit. They are still 19-21lbs each. Well my mom flipped out today when she heard. She said I'm lucky someone didn't report me that I was cruel to my children.

9. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

that is so funny! my mom thought it was a very clever idea!! and everyone that sees it at the store thinks it is super cute...

10. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

I prefer not to take the boys with me if I can help it since they slow me down and I always end up forgetting something. We live in a small town and there are no double carts or car carts at our grocery store. I put a folded up beach towel in the main part of the cart and let them sit there. Then I use the child seat and the bottom of the cart to put groceries in. Sometimes I'll carry a basket along too. They do pretty well staying seated. If I stop for too long they will stand up, but as long as I can keep them entertained by giving them boxes of whatever we are buying, they do ok. The worst is when we get to the checkout and the cashier has to ring up their boxes. They aren't happy about that at all, but they are getting better.

11. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

Seriously?! And that's cruel how?! I think it's genius!

I try also to go alone but sometimes that's not possible. When I have five things or less to buy, I'll take them in the stroller, fit what I can underneath and hold a heavier item right before paying...if I need more than that, I also go for those carts attached to play cars. I put one of them in the car and one of them in the cart in front of me, with snacks, and they are usually pretty happy!

12. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

When DH and I take them to the store, we never use a stroller, just 2 carts. I would totally take them without a stroller by myself, if my stupid local grocery store had decent carts. The traditional ones can only fit 1 kid, and they don't have the ones with the car in front. They have a special car with a basket on top for grocerys; pretty nifty except that you have to pay $1 to use it and there's a TV in the "dashboard" that blares cartoons at the boys, which I hate. *grump* :diablo: :laughing:

13. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

It is funny the looks you get! I do this when I need to. Some stores, like Joann's has really small carts and those are really tight... but for now our two still fit (close to 19 & 21 pounds still).

Mine are just so excited to be in the store... and I love the idea of the pasta box... I usually give them a canteloupe!

14. skybluepink02

skybluepink02 Well-Known Member

How does putting two in a one seater cart work? I'm having trouble imagining it, but I'd love to know the logistics. Do you worry about them slipping through the leg hole? Do both legs go in one leg hole? This could solve a lot of my grocery store troubles!

15. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

That'd be a cool way to do it [both in the regualr cart] just as long as they don't [​IMG] from being too close to each other ^_^

We do our grocery shopping as a family. One pushes the stroller, the other pushes the grocery cart.

16. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

I can't believe you are just now taking them without a stroller. I haven't ever taken a stroller because I imagine it would be more difficult. Since mine have been able to sit up, they have each gotten a leg hole. Now it's more difficult to do that because they are bigger and running out of room in the leg holes. But I will put one in the big part of the cart. I'm often seen carrying one while the other sits in the cart though. Unfortunately I can't bribe my oldest to push a stroller or the cart at this point and I'd be afraid she would take one of the babies' legs or arms off running into something.

17. irisflower

Thank you ladies for validating me... I just can't believe I need to be paranoid about babypolice. I know my mom means well, but geeze, singleton parents just don't GET it.

18. tburke75

tburke75 Well-Known Member

I hate going to the regular grocery store. My husband does the push the stroller pull the cart thing. I go to Sam's Club and end up spending way to much and buying way too much because I love their carts with the double seats!! I just wait until my hubby is available to go to the regular grocery store then we each push a cart with a baby...makes life much easier.

19. irisflower

One with right leg bent and his left leg straight. The other with his left leg bent and his right leg straight.
    Straight legs only for the leg holes.

20. StaceeyL

StaceeyL Well-Known Member

I always have my girls sit in the same seat. Ive done it since they were old enough to sit up in the cart and they dont mind it. My mom thought it was mean and the girls were too big to sit together. The only place I see the 2 kid carts are Costco and sometimes the grocery stores have the little car ones that hold two, but they always seem to be used by people with one kid.

21. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

I have tried the both in one seat carts but they :catfight: the whole time. Plus now G keeps trying to climb out. So we are pretty much stuck with the stroller with a baskets for small trips - although the cashier is always amazed at how much I can fit in the basket and around the stroller :) or a trip with one or no babies for major shopping.