gripewater?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by 4kidsmomexpectingtwins, Aug 6, 2008.

1. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Colic Calm? I am trying to find an alternative to Zantac for my 2 month old. She has been on gas relief drops for a while now, but it doesn't seem to help quick enough. What is the best gripewater you have found on the market? What has worked for your baby/babies with reflux? Is there something else that works better?

2. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't deal with reflux, but we did have a colicky daughter, we used a herbal remedy something called Cocyntal for colic and it worked like a charm with our dd. It usually settled her down. Again we weren't dealing with reflux though. Good Luck!

3. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

My boys had colic and reflux...they were on Zantac, I never tried gripewater. Look online and see if you could find a good one! Good Luck!

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Tammy,

Gripewater and gas drops are good ideas for colicky gassy babies, but they are not what reflux babies need. If your daughter has reflux and is in pain, then she needs medicine that will help with her symptoms. Without that, her esophagus could be burned and scarred. If Zantac isn't working for your daughter, you should talk to your pediatrician about other medicines such as Prevacid, Prilosec or Axid. In addition, are you keeping her upright for 30 minutes after feeding? That can help. Many babies with reflux also have milk protein intolerance, so if you're breastfeeding you can try cutting out all dairy from your diet. If you're formula feeding, switching to Nutramigen or Allimentum might help. Talk to your pediatrician!

Reflux is serious because it can cause damage to your baby's esophogus and cause her to associate eating with pain. Many of us on this board have dealt with infant reflux and we have many stories, experiences, and tips to share. PM me if I can help.

Good luck...
    Trish

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TamLenox @ Aug 7 2008, 04:28 AM) [snapback]918106[/snapback]
    I am trying to find an alternative to Zantac for my 2 month old. She has been on gas relief drops for a while now, but it doesn't seem to help quick enough. What has worked for your baby/babies with reflux? Is there something else that works better?

Have you talked to your Ped about the Zantac not working? Zantac did not do a thing for my boys but we got switched to Prevacid and we saw some nice results within the first 24 hours and it just got better from there. There are a lot of things that you can do to help with reflux...like keeping them elevated during feedings and then for at least 30 mins afterward. You can add cereal to the bottles to help weigh the formula down if you are FF and get the okay from your Ped.

FWIW gripe water did not do a thing for my boys. Also if they have really bad reflux I would suggest a getting a Ped GI consult. It was the best thing that I did for the reflux. GL! :hug99:

6. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

i am NEVER one to push meds, but i agree w/adril above. medication to protect her esophagus is what your baby probably needs. gripe water worked ok w/certain things w/our boys, but nothing that was particularly serious.

the best cure will be time, but in the meantime, talk to your pedi about the right meds.

also, does she ff? if so, you might want to try others. my boys only got 1-2 bottles of formula and they had a lot of trouble w/it until we switched around and finally ended up w/one of the sensitive tummy ones (i forgot which), as well as taking zantac. however, they've been off all meds since 3 months adjusted, so hopefully yours will, as well!

gl, jl

7. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I've got nothing for you on the reflux issues or meds for that, but the gripe water we used for colic was the one you can order from drugstore.com (baby bliss, I think). I had a really hard time finding it around here and when I did it was $12+ a bottle. At drugstore.com it was on sale a few times for $7 or $8. Twice I bought 2 or 3 bottles and enough other normal stuff to get free shipping.

8. carliegil

carliegil Well-Known Member

I agree with the pp about trying a different med for reflux if zantac isn't working.

I did try colic calm as my babies had reflux and were extremely colicky. It worked instantly and better than any other gripe water that I tried(tried soooo many). The problem is that it is black in color and can stain clothes bibs etc..It even stained the medicine dropper. It even says on the website to be careful b/c it may stain. I believe I have a box unopened that you can have if you just pay for the shipping if you want to try it. PM me if you are interested.