Gripe Water

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ~ Sandy ~, Jun 22, 2008.

1. ~ Sandy ~

~ Sandy ~ Well-Known Member

So...we are having babies wake up a lot at night b/c of gas (not burping...the other kind ;))...I've read/heard gripe water can help. I've never used this and want to hear if it helped you and if it is really safe?

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I tried it, and didn't notice much difference in my babies. I know some swear by it though!

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Didn't work for us. It helped for hiccups, but I'm finding that nursing again will also help with them! :umm: I know some swear by gripe water though!

4. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

we did try it as well, and I didn't notice much difference with gas.

5. Jocasta

Jocasta Well-Known Member

We used gripe water and it did work for us. I was surprised and only tried due to desperation!

6. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I used it and it seemed to help Jake. I tried the Mylicon drops and they did nothing for him.

I think I paid around $8, so it's worth a try. I only used one bottle and by then he was a little past 3 months and I think he just grew out of it.

Good Luck!!

7. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

We used this for colic and it did work for us. I believe that you can buy some all natural formulas and my pediatrician said that it was fine to use. We did not have any luck with the mylicon drops, and the doctors I work with swear that they work more for the parents than they do for the babies.

8. carliegil

carliegil Well-Known Member

I have a gassy little guy and the gripe water does work better than the mylicon drops for him. I usually get a few burps/farts out within minutes of giving him the gripe water and I don't even have to give him the full dose.

9. esaesa

esaesa Well-Known Member

There is a recent post in bf forum about gripe water interfering w/ iron. I think all in moderation is fine. I mostly use it for painful hiccups that won't go away.

There is a recent post in bf forum about gripe water interfering w/ iron. I think all in moderation is fine. I mostly use it for painful hiccups that won't go away.