Grinding teeth

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by miss_bossy18, Dec 29, 2013.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just in the last couple of days Emmett has started grinding his teeth. As far as I've noticed it's only during the day and I suspect he does it because it makes a cool sound but I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with teeth grinding? Is it something to be concerned about? I'd google it but then I'm sure I'd discover he had some rare, untreatable jaw disease. ;)

2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

oh now that you said that, Nicholas use to sometimes grind his teeth.  it wasn't everyday but it definitely was more than occasionally.  not sure when he started or when it stopped, but I haven't heard it for a long time.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it is playing and if you make a big deal out of it, it will continue and be a habit.  I don't remember ages, but at least two of my kids ground their teeth but stopped after awhile.  If you draw attention to it, it is less likely to go away. 

4. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

My girls ground their teeth from the time they had teeth until 4-5 years old during the day and continued at night until they were around 6-7.

5. amee

amee Member

We have been very lucky that neither child is a tooth grinder but I know I was and it is very damaging. Are they old enough that you can get them a bite/grind guard?

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Austin grinds his teeth at night. The dentist said it's normal and not really a big deal until they get their adult teeth.

7. Kludelhoven

Kludelhoven Well-Known Member

I am a dental hygienist and it is extremely common and ok!  Lots of children do this and there is nothing a dentist would make at this age to stop/prevent it.  If it is something that continues after they get all there adult teeth a lot of times its because of spacing issues and the jaw is trying to correct itself and find the correct bite and braces could help at that point and if braces aren't an option then the dentist could make a night guard!

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Luke used to grind his a lot during the night.  The girls did for a little bit, but not as much as Luke.  They all grew out of it eventually.  The grinding never bothered their teeth, and the dentist didn't seemed to worried about it either as it wasn't hurting their teeth.  It didn't last long, though.

9. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Man, I'm so relieved to hear this. Michelle always does it when she's asleep. Kinda freaks me out lol. Thanks

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Funny this came back up today; I was at the periodontist and they said I grind my teeth really bad. I know I do sometimes, but I had no idea it was so bad. The bone in my mouth has totally built up from the muscles working so hard and there's a lot of wear on my molars and canines. So I get a mouth guard! Sexy.

Anyway, I asked him about kids doing it and he said it was incredibly common but most people either do it so ccasionally that t doesn't hurt anything or they grow out of it.