Green bowel movements - EBF baby

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jdorourk, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

My 4 mo old DS is EBF and has had nothing but green bowel movements now for 3 straight days. He is acting perfectly fine other than a little fussy sometimes at my boob. I googled green poop and the only cause that seemed to fit my situation of an EBF 4 mo old is that he is only getting foremilk and not hindmilk. I noticed today he isnt nursing very long (5 min) and gets fussy if i try to force the boob on him. This was only happening today and hes had the green BMs for three days. I am wondering if i have some supply issue.

Anyone experience green BMs in their little one. I should say DD is EBF too and her BMs are normal.

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One of mine had the green poop issue at about 4 months and it turned out to be a dairy intolerance. I had to cut out all dairy and it cleared up really quick after that. Or, if he's had a cold or something recently it can make thins go haywire for a few days, but I'd guess a food sensitivity is the culprit.

3. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I've also heard that swallowing s lot of saliva can fo that (teething can cause funky bowel movements). I'd give it another couple days urchins be any number of the things mentioned; however, it could easily clear up.

4. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Rollergiraffe- is it normal for a dairy intolerance to start suddenly at 4 mos? Id think i would have seen this before as ive been eating some dairy since they were born and they have been EBF since then.

5. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Omg never type on my phone again, how did urchins get in there.

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know if it's common, but according to my dr it can happen any time in the first year. Miles only started showing symptoms around 3.5 months. It started with green poops and then there was a little bit of blood, so I ended up taking him to urgent care where they said to try cutting out dairy. I did, and he was much, much better within 48 hours. Every time I tried dairy after that he would get fussy. Then at about 14 months we introduced cow's milk and he was totally fine.

7. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

One of my two suddenly developed green poop at about 6 weeks. I haven't done anything about it and at their 2 month checkup neither the doctor or nurse seemed concerned. The consensus seemed to be that yellow or green was fine as long as there was no blood and as long as it was still loose. Your doctor may feel differently but I haven't seen too much reason for concern yet with mine.