Green Beans

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jkendall, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jkendall

jkendall Well-Known Member

I bought some organic Gerber Green Beans yesterday, and it says it is a Stage 2 food on the container. What makes it a stage 2 food? I have read on wholesomebabyfood that green beans are okay to give at 4-6 months, and I have seen the nonorganic green beans as a stage 1 before. It is okay if I give this to them? I am trying to give them as many veggies as possible before I start on fruits, but I am starting to run out!

2. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I *think* the only difference is there is a larger variety of foods and there is more in the container.

3. kellytwinmom

kellytwinmom Well-Known Member

I gave green beans yesterday, but I made them myself (well I didn't make the beans but I pureed them!) So far nothing has gone wrong. I think the stage 2 means a little thicker???

4. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Jul 22 2008, 10:31 AM) [snapback]889484[/snapback]
    I *think* the only difference is there is a larger variety of foods and there is more in the container.

i think you are right because I accidently bought stage 2 foods and noticed it is a bigger container. Different texture to the food too I think.

5. lorig6

lorig6 Well-Known Member

I *think* some veggies are a little thicker at stage 2 but I didn't notice a difference with green beans.

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Stage 2 is a little bit thicker I think

7. melbrown22

melbrown22 Member

I agree with the PP that it is probably a little thicker. By the way, I have also been buying some of the Gerber organic baby food (I can only find it in the plastic containers) and I noticed the other day the the recycling code on the bottom is a 7, which is supposed to be one of the bad codes as far as having BPA. Not sure how significant it is, but something to be aware of.

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I didn't notice any difference in texture between stages 1 and 2 of gerber foods. I think its just the size of the container and that no stage 1 foods are combinations. Per my pedi, we started with orange veggies (sweet potatoes, squash, carrots), and then did green veggies (green beans), and then fruit. I gave them peas while doing the greens, but they both got horrible diaper rash, so I waited to do peas again for a few months. The next time I gave it to them they did fine. We had NO problems with green beans.. in fact it soon because a VERY close second favorite to the almight sweet potatoes. GL!

9. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mab @ Jul 22 2008, 06:25 PM) [snapback]890145[/snapback]
    I agree with the PP that it is probably a little thicker. By the way, I have also been buying some of the Gerber organic baby food (I can only find it in the plastic containers) and I noticed the other day the the recycling code on the bottom is a 7, which is supposed to be one of the bad codes as far as having BPA. Not sure how significant it is, but something to be aware of.

I am not sure but all of the Organic baby foods I used (Earth's best and a couple I can't remember) came in glass and were the same price as gerber. They also had a much larger selection.