Graco MyRide 65

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by csteen, Aug 2, 2011.

1. csteen

csteen Active Member

Hey All

So a while back I remember some posts regarding 'big kid carseats' Our twins just turned 9 months and after reading tons of reviews, consumer reports, etc we decided to go with the graco myride 65 carseat.

WE were happy with our purchase UNTIL...we went to actually use them in the vehicle...HOW THE HECK DO YOU ADJUST THE HARNESS STRAPS????

We are finding it impossible to do this - when we contacted Graco they told us it has to be adjusted by pulling straight but clearly we can't do that when it's in the car.

Does anyone else use these car seats? Do you have any luck (and/or tricks) when it comes to this issue?

Thanks so much!!!

2. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Are you talking day to day tightening or actually moving the straps up a notch. I don't have a problem doing it. Maybe it's already as tight as it can be?

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

On the front of the seat, between where the baby's legs will rest, is a small flap. If you lift it up, there is a metal lever. You have to pull up on that and while holding it up, pull the straps out. You can loosen them just a bit, or if you pull them as far out as they go, there is a metal hook in the back that you will then be able to reach to unhook them and pull them out completely to raise the straps up a notch.

I hope that makes sense.....it is a bit of a pain to raise the straps a notch - I can just manage to do it in my car, and I have a very big back seat. If I had a smaller car, I would have to actually take the seat out to do it. The owner's manual that comes with the seat gives decent directions on how to do the adjustment.

Hope this helps.

4. christinam

I've always had to take the seat out in my van to move the straps up/down a notch. Unless it was rear facing of course but it's still tight trying to get down where I can see what I'm doing. It's just easier to take it out for me. One way or the other.

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We are still rear-facing - we are trying to keep them that way until they turn 2, but at 19 months, they are already wearing 2T clothes, and it is getting hard to get them in and out (we have to really scrunch them up to get them in there at that angle), so we may turn them soon. Once we turn them, we will definitely have to take the seat out to move the straps up. But for now, let's just say I'm stubborn and persistent and refuse to take the seat out and reinstall it to raise the straps. :aggressive: :laughing:

6. christinam

I know what you mean. The seat is big. I have to scrunch Allie up a little to get her in and she little. I used to hate to take sears in and out but I've become a pro having five and now it's no biggie. But it's still a pain. We also have Sunshine Kid Radians and changing those straps are really a pain cause the clip at the bottom. I dread dealing with those.

7. Mommabirdof4

Mommabirdof4 Member

We love MyRides...the twins have been in them since 24 hours old when they came home from the hospital. JoJo our 2 year used one until she was a year and a half. We don't do infant seats.

I think you are talking about tightening the harness once the lil ones are buckled in...the easiest way for us is tightening by pulling a little at a time. we pull as straight out as possiable. Graco changed their harness in 2010...and the new design is a little more of a pain...we have one of each since one seat is new and the other was my 2 year olds seat.

8. christinam

My seat is likely a 2009 so that's probably why it's easier.

9. csteen

csteen Active Member

Ours is 2011 and a serious pain in the butt. I will say I admire all of you who say they can adjust the height without taking the darn thing out. I was talking more about tightening the straps with the kids buckled in, and we actually just bought a van yesterday and now that I can drop the back of the seat to give me more room to pull the strap it's a bit better. We are definitely a fan of the seat though, and more importantly the kids seem to love them!!

Anyway, thanks for all the tips and advice, I really appreciate it!

10. christinam

My DD2 LOVES the seat. I wish I could put her in it but the one of the twins ride in it now. I bought it for DD2 the week before we found out we were having twins. A couple months later we had to spend a small fortune on car seats and move DD2 to the back row in a Radian. I did find a cute Dora car seat cover I'm going to buy her though and that should make her quite happy.