gotta ask this every 6 or so months...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ddancerd1, Aug 24, 2009.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

what do you do with them all day?

now that they pretty much play together indepedently, what should i be doing with them? i read to them throughout the day when they hand me a book, i let them brush my hair, we go for walks, we still do the colors/alphabet/numbers stuff throughout the day. i just don't sit down with "learning materials" and "officially" teach them stuff. am i supposed to? i have no idea what to do with almost-two-year-olds.
    we also (but not everyday):
    color with crayons/markers/pens
    play doh OCCASSIONALLY (sp?)
    dress up
    pretend play
    dance
    do cartwheels (well, okay, that's just me. they laugh)
    skip back and forth
    yeah, you can tell i run out of things to do lol

but most of the day they just play by themselves. is that bad? it's not like they're crying for my attention.

of course, once fall hits i'll be taking them to story times adn all that stuff.

2. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

I think that sounds like a great day for an almost 2 year old and that you are doing a great job momma!! I think letting kids play by themselves is really important. And when you are interacting, it sounds like you are having lots of fun!

3. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Sounds like us :)
    We do a gymnastics class once a week, but other than that there is alot of coloring, building blocks, reading, running, jumping, playing in tents, singing, dancing etc.
    Mine play alone (well, together) a lot of the day while I am cleaning/making food/doing laundry etc.
    I also drag them along to run errands :)
    I am too scared to try story time...my girls are LOUD.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Danielle, your day sounds like our day. Except for the cartwheels. I wouldn't able to get back up :laughing:
    Mine play pretty well on their own and when they want my interference, they'll let me know. We read, color, sing, dance, play, talk to them a lot, have them name and point out things and people. I would like to find a story time or music class in my area for free for them to go to and we might do swim lessons again in September.

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky yours play WITHOUT you. Mine pretty much don't. Lucky you! Sounds like your days are pretty well filled. I think you're doing great!

6. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're doing a Wonderful job, mama! [​IMG] Mine play quite well independently and together. Sometimes I go play with them [and tackle them and then they make me chase them everywhere [​IMG] ]. Just Have Fun! And keep in mind that they learn most by playing at this stage. So if you teach them something.. keep it fun, make a game out of it, and be silly. They won't realize it, but they are actually getting the stimulation their brains need ^_^ Sounds like you've got a good list of activities for them. Keep it up! [​IMG]

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are doing a great job. :good: Independant play is very important.