Good stair gate?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We're moving soon and we're going to need to put a gate at the bottom of the stairs. The way the place is designed, we can't attach it directly to the banister, so we'll need something that goes around the banister so it can be attached to that...

Does anyone have any experience with those? I'd like to have everything ordered before we move, although I'll probably have to send dh over there again to measure doorways etc... I wanted to avoid that by just getting a large configure gate but I think it would end up being way too expensive as we'd have to cover 10 feet or something...

2. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

We've not long moved and our stairs are quite wide and gates from the shops just wouldn't work - so we had a carpenter come and make us two lovely gates for top and bottom. Maybe an option?

3. paulacraft1

paulacraft1 Well-Known Member

4. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

We LOVE the DreamBaby Extra Tall gates. They are pressure mount. To protect the banister and because it was an odd fit where the gate would need to go with the spindles we bought a seperate kit that has a piece of wood that velcros on to the railing. Works like a charm. DH even fell down the stairs once and crashed into the gate (upside down and backwards so ALL of his weight was up against the gate + his momentum). It moved about 1/4 of an inch, but still held. Found them all at Babies R Us Online (though I don't think we actually bought them from there).

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely look into that once I've figured out how to do it... I'd like having a configure gate instead honestly so it's not a pain for the dogs to get upstairs but I can't imagine the price to cover 10 feet of floor!

6. eatcelery

eatcelery Well-Known Member

Fran here is what we are doing if I ever get around to going to the store to buy one. I'm getting a small piece of plywood which you can cut to the right size at Home Depot. We will then U bolt that or use the plastic wire ties to attach it on the side of two rungs of the banister. Then we will pressure mount the gate between the wall and the plywood. Make sure you get a gate that opens on top and is not a foot pedal.