Good Halloween Books, and kids that dont eat candy

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sbcowell, Oct 3, 2010.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I have two questions, but since they are both Halloween related I thought I would lump them together.

I would love to get a book about Halloween so that my kids can learn a bit about what happens before Halloween is here.

And, also - my kids dont eat chocolate, candy, suckers or anything like that -but I still want them to participate in Halloween, but I am not sure how? i think we will hand out boxes of raisons and stickers at our house, but not sure what to do when we go to other peoples houses...any suggestions?

2. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I saw a cute Elmo Halloween book at Target last week, but I knew my MIL would get it for them because she always buys them books for Holidays from Target. She almost lives at Target and Kohl's.

As for the candy we have the same issue because Max is allergic to anything with milk or butter in it, so no milk chocolate. That is most Halloween candy, so I plan on buying items to give away that he can have. When we get home I am going to do a quick switch in the kitchen because they are still young enough not to notice. I am hoping next year he will understand or I will have to come up with another idea.

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Some Halloween books that we have: Room on the Broom , The Littlest Pumpkin, We're Off to See the Witch's House, and Ten Timid Ghosts . If you do a search on Amazon, there are lots. There's even an ABC's of Halloween book that looks cute.

As for Trick or Treat, a lot of people get something that's good for the little ones, too. Little bags of pretzels, or goldfish. If they get tons of candy, you or your husband could bring it to work. Also, some dentist offices do a trade in where they buy back candy from the kids. Or you could find somewhere to donate it. I think this is from last year, but it's worth checking out: Cool Mom Picks: Donate Halloween Candy

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also have the Littlest Pumpkin and a Charlie Brown Halloween book that the kids love. I would say let the kids help you hand out your goodies and take them to few houses and weed out the candy from their bags since they don't like it. You can also make up little treat bags for them of the treats they do like. Good luck!

5. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Some suggestions I found for alternatives to giving out candy:
    Tattoos
    Stickers
    Spining Tops
    Bandaids
    bubbles
    crayons
    stamps
    whistles
    erasers
    rings
    race cars
    balls
    beads
    pencils

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin is one of our all-time favorites (even at other times of year). It has a great rhyme and meter, and is super cute. We have it memorized. ;)

As far as candy goes, you can go trick-or-treating, but abscond with the candy after they go to bed. I promise they'll never know the difference! You can get some other treats to replace them (like stickers, etc.) if you want. :)

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree that at this age, they won't know the difference if you take the candy after they go to bed. There should still be some other treats left over for them, so many people give out other things these days anyway!

8. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Donating Candy....That is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing Mo!!