going to my first MOM meeting tonight...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lisagayle, Mar 1, 2011.

1. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

Tonight I'm going to my very first Mothers of Multiples meeting. I wanted to join when I was pregnant but there was just too much going on. I met another mother locally who is very involved with the group and she invited me to come to March's meeting as a guest and see what it's all about before I decide to join or not. I'm kind of excited but also a little nervous. Who all is involved in a MOM group and what is it like?

TIA!

2. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

I'm in one, our meeting is tomorrow night.

I love it, it's nice to be able to talk to other Mom's who actually can relate to your life. Some meetings are kind of businessy but most are fun, they bring in speakers - on allergies, couponing, etc, we make things - soap, spring rolls, etc, have snacks - a potluck and chat. I tend to stick with 3 or 4 of us whose kids are close in age. Plus it is something to look forward to get out of the house once a month, even if you talk about twins the whole time LOL!

Good luck, I hope you like it!

3. lisagayle

Thanks! Our group has a 30 minute meeting that's tailored to age groups first and then after is the main meeting. We are having our local MOM sale at the end of the month and that's supposedly what the meeting is about tonight. :) Can't wait.

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I love our group! we do social time, a meeting, and some type of fun part or a speaker. love the sales they do, and the playdates too! it's great to meet with other MoMs - especially the ones with kids the same ages as mine. hope you enjoy yours!

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've never been... I don't know. My kids are three now. I think it's too late. LOL!

So how did the meeting go?!?!

6. lisagayle

It went well! It was a lot of fun, lots of super fun ladies.

7. maybell

I wouldn't say that if your kids are 3 it's too late... many moms in our group do quit coming when their kids are school aged, and I think it's because there are more things going on in their lives... but if you want to meet some moms with multiples and have possible playdates, I really enjoy our group.

8. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I always wanted to join one but its def to late for me:( Boys are starting K in the fall. I cant believe they are 5 already! :cry:

9. lisagayle

I think it all depends on the ages of the kids of the parents that attend...our group is the largest MOM group in Oklahoma. And we have four mini groups, pregnancy - eating solids , eating solids - 2, 2 to 5, and anyone in K up. There are quite a few people for each group, so no one is lacking. :D

10. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

I sooo wish this would be in Belgium too! Happy you had a good meeting!

11. maybell

that's a great way to divide the groups up! what do the monthly meetings look like? is it mainly all separated for a social/chat time? just curious for ideas for our group.

we tried to do playdates by "kindergarten" ages, and that works great for the kids to get along... but our meetings are all together for the moms - once a month.

12. lisagayle

The monthly meetings are for moms only - like yours. Every April when we vote for president, vp, treasurer, etc we also vote on a group leader for each small group. They more or less help keep everyone focused during the small groups and also are the ones who coordinate play dates for the group. Our meetings look like this: form 630 to 7ish we are all in small groups. Everyone just kind of talks about how their kids are doing, any questions they have, any struggles they are having, etc. Then at 7 we try to disband from the small groups and everyone comes together for the main meeting. They usually give us about 15 minutes or so to chit chat and visit and get settled before they start. Then the regular meeting starts and usually lasts until 845 or 9.

:)

13. maybell

sounds like you have a great group! glad you could join and enjoy it!