Going rate for nannies (Toronto, Canada)?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mwarner, May 27, 2010.

1. mwarner

mwarner Active Member

We are planning to hire a live-out nanny starting when our DDs are 10 months old. We do not have any other children. We will likely want her to work 8-6, Monday-Friday.

To those folks living in Toronto, Canada - what should we expect to pay? (net or gross figures are fine) We intend to pay her taxes, EI and CPP.

2. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

Hi there!

we have a live-in nanny and we pay her at a rate of $10/hour. Since hiring her, the ontario legislation has posted that live-in nannies should get paid $10.25/hour. We often pay her a bonus with her pay cheque for any overtime she puts in or for just being very good with our babies.

I am pretty sure that most of my friends with nannies pay anywhere for $10-12/hour for their help. I know it's a little different for me b/c she eats and boards with us. Hope that helps.

GL

3. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

We are in Alberta and I was told to expect to pay between 1400 and 1600 a month for a non live in nanny, more around the 1400 for a live in. HTH!

4. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

I looked into Cardinal Nannies (Durham/Northumberland) and they charge about $750 per week...but I think they pay the EI/CPP and WSIB out of that, do background checks, check up on the nannies, etc.

The rule of thumb I always heard was 2.5 to 3 times what a single daycare space goes for. You could probably take the $10.25 /hour mentioned by PP and add in cost of rent/food etc to come up with a reasonable figure.