Going in for a cerclage tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kcprochazka, Nov 30, 2009.

1. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

Tomorrow we go in for our cerclage (our son was born at 34 weeks and the girls at 29.5, so we're hoping this keeps these 2 in until at least 34 weeks). I'm a bit nervous but trust everything will be ok. Anyone here had this done? I'd love to hear your success stories! I'm 14 weeks now, so this is a planned cerclage and not an emergency one (which is good). Thanks!

2. garden2009

garden2009 Well-Known Member

I haven't had this done but just wanted to wish you luck!!

3. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I see this term often on the boards but never really have understood what a "cerclage" is?

Good luck and hope all goes well!

4. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

GL Kim! I had an emergency cerclage done at almost 21 weeks and as you can see it was successful. I have heard that the non-emergent ones are even safer. I know it's scary regardless though. Wishing you a simple, successful cerclage followed by a long healthy pregnancy! :)

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good luck tomorrow. :hug: I had an emergency one done at 24w with my twins, sadly it did not last me that long as my DD somehow broke through it. But it's all good now. :)

I do know quite a few people IRL and here on TS had them as preventative measures and it let them get to 37+ weeks. :good:

A cerclage is when they stitch up your cervix so it stays closed.

6. spencersgirl

spencersgirl Active Member

I don't have any experience to share but I wanted to say good luck. Hope everything goes perfectly.

7. evemomma

evemomma Well-Known Member

No experience here either, but wishing you the best of luck!!!!!

8. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

No experience here. But my friend had it done with two of her pregnancies and they worked perfectly. Both were done very early in the pregnancy as her first son was born at 26 weeks. All she complained about was being limited when it came to lifting her arms above her head!!! Hubby had to do all the washing for months. Ha ha. Good luck

9. kcprochazka

Thanks for all the well wishes! It's good to hear that they do work. I mean, I completely trust my Dr and know she wouldn't recommend one unless it worked (not to mention my Peri recommended it too) but it's still good to hear real stories about them. It would be nice to skip the NICU experience this time around.

10. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Good luck! My friend just had one, also about the same time. She lost her twins in February due to premature labor (she had an emergency cerclage then but it was already too late) at 25w. She's now pregnant with a singleton and she's now on bedrest until 34w as well (she has cervical issues).

11. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

Good luck!!!!

I know of a girl who had one done at 18 weeks with her twins, and she is now in week 30!

12. kcprochazka

YAY! It's all done! I'm so glad to have that over. The procedure itself was simple (they put me in twilight) and just had a bit of cramping for a few hours after. They kept me overnight for observation, but after about 6 hours post-procedure I had no discomfort or pain. Now they have me on light bedrest (just resting when I can, no picking up anything heavy including children and no long distance walking or running) but other than that am good to go! 34 weeks here we come!!

13. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:good: Glad it went well!