going back to work

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by paperclippy, Jul 1, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

So I had 12 weeks of unpaid FMLA leave from work. 8 weeks of it was used up between me being on hospital bedrest and the girls being in the NICU. My original plan had been to have term babies (ha ha) and then have 12 weeks at home with them, but now I've got two weeks of leave left and their adjusted age is basically zero. I'm wondering whether I should go straight back to work when it's up or try to work with my employer to get another unpaid leave ("personal leave") or use my vacation time, of which I have about two and a half week's worth. My other thought was to go back but use my vacation days to effectively have a part-time work schedule for a little while. My work hours are flexible and I can also work from home a lot, though I need to be in the office to catch up from what I missed for a while first. My husband is going to be a stay-at-home dad, so they will still have a parent home with them.

So other working moms who had preemies or bedrest, when did you go back to work?

2. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh wow, that's a tough one. For me I was on bedrest, but since it was before the babies were born, it was short term disability. It didn't count against my postpartum leave.

How are the babies going to be cared for while you are at work? How do you feel? I know even though I went back when they were 4 months old, I was so sleep deprived I could barely think straight.

I don't know what your financial situation is - if you do have some flexibility, I would probably try to stay home a bit longer.

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I would try for a little more time. But honestly, having your husband home with them makes it a really different situation. Probably easier to go back sooner. But I'd try for a few more weeks then part time for a few weeks to ease back in.

4. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sorry, missed the part where your hubby is staying home.

I think Rachael had some good advice.

5. dab_20

dab_20 Member

I had to leave work at 31 weeks because I am a CNA and being on my feet and lifting people while pregnant with twins wasn't easy! My girls were born at 36 weeks and I am going back to work tomorrow and they are 13 weeks old. My manager really is so understanding family wise and just told me to come back when I needed. I survived on tax money because my leave was unpaid and my parents also gave me a large amount to help me stay home a little longer. I'm really not looking forward to going back. :(

6. paperclippy

Thanks guys, I've emailed my HR person about what options I have available to me. We're in a good place financially, so it's more about how much they need me at work and how much I'm needed at home. At first I was thinking about going back when the FMLA was up, but now that they're in the middle of a growth spurt things are crazy and I feel like I need to be home more.

7. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

I went back to work part time when my twins were 12 weeks old, but wish that I stayed home longer. I was so exhuasted and stressed. If you could be home a little longer I would go with that option.

8. paperclippy

I got it finalized with HR today, I'm taking an extra 3 weeks. That way the girls will be about 6 weeks past their due date when I go back (15 weeks from birth) so hopefully they will be a bit more mature.

9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Congrats! Enjoy your extra three weeks. :)