Girls' bangs

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Beth*J, Apr 18, 2009.

?

Did you cut your girls' bangs when it got long enough or use a clip?

1. cut bangs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. use a clip

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

The girls' hair is finally long enough that their bangs are starting to get in their eyes. DH said I should trim them up. I'm not sure I'm ready to do that. If you have a girl (or two) what did you do? Did you trim their bangs or did you just clip it somehow so that it stayed out of their eyes? I'm a little worried about using a clip because they tend to put everything in their mouths. I'm trying a clip while I'm in the living room watching them play and so far they are leaving them alone. I also put a bow clip in their hair for the first time for church on Easter and they didn't take those out. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

2. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I either use a clip or pull it back into a ponytail on the top of her head. (Or pigtails.)
    I don't plan to cut bangs on her.

3. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

Clara's hair has been long and in her eyes for some time and I do not plan to cut bangs (might do a trim eventually, but I'm stalling on that too). I have all kinds of clips and barrets, but they never stay in all day. I too worry about them winding up in someone's mouth and being a choking hazard.

I use the itty bitty rubber bands to pull it up on top of her head into on pony or two pig tails. It looks cute and she doesn't mind too much having it done and forgets once it's in. The only drawback to this is that I am the only one that can do it. DH nor the sitter can get the tiny little bands around her hair enough times for them to stay. :rolleyes:

GL figuring out what works for you and the girls!

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I cut bangs. I don't like the way it looks when a little girl has hair in her eyes all the time and at this age they aren't old enough to understand keeping their hair up.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I've done both. When Meara was 1 her bangs were too long, but I didn't trust her to leave a clip alone, so we trimmed them. Then a couple months later we trimmed both their bangs, but right now we are growing them out so we use a clip or pony tail holder.

6. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I didnt cut them, they made me crazy for a couple months but it was SO worth it! I would highly recommend NOT cutting bangs! :)

7. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

Hope you don't mind me replying.. with my singleton who's coming up on two, I finally quit cutting her bangs because I was having to cut them every 2 weeks as fast as her hair grows. She was one of those babies that came out with alot of hair. Now I'm just clipping it back because I'm just tired of having to cut it so often.

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With my first daughter, we cut bangs. It was such an ordeal growing them out that I swore I would never do it again. So, my other two girls didn't get bangs, we just clipped it back or used the little tiny rubber bands.

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DD does not have enough hair to cut yet, but if she had bangs that were getting in her eyes, I would probably trim them. In our case, that might be when she's 10 :)

10. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Both of my girls have bangs and MAN it's a lot of maintenance. So we're in the process of growing them out which is not fun.

11. BeckiAllen1130

BeckiAllen1130 Well-Known Member

I voted to clip back their bangs :) Mine have realllllly long bangs that hang in their eyes, so I either put a ponytail or pigtails in their hair. They pull out clips but will leave a rubberband in.

12. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I struggled with this decision as well, and my girls are the one that finally made it clear as to what I had to do. They would NOT leave clips in, and if for some reason they did typically their sister would pull it out. It was way too much of a hassle to keep their hair out of their eyes. Now that I took the plunge and had their bangs cut, I love their little bangs and it really makes things a lot easier. Plus, whenever they fall and hit their head their bangs cover up all over their war wounds!

13. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We cut their bangs (and still do). I could never find a clip that would stay in, and because they're in daycare, I knew that once it fell out it would just stay out. I might put a clip back in every 45 minutes, but the daycare teachers won't. I also think the bangs look cute.

I haven't found it to be all that much maintenance, but then I've never known anything else. We cut their hair ourselves (DH did it -- not so well, but well enough) until they were about 2 and could sit still in the stylist's chair.

14. lindsay084

lindsay084 Well-Known Member

I never cut my oldest DDs bangs, and I am SO happy now that all her hair is one length. With the twins, their hair is just starting to reach their eyes, and I also use the itty bitty rubber bands, because they dont keep clips in. AND if I can convince one to leave it in, her sister comes along and plucks it out! :rolleyes:

15. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I haven't cut Hailey'ss hair. I pull her hair back with those tiny rubber bands, into one pony on the top (We call her Hailey Who when we do this, like the people from "whoville") or into two pig tails (and then I call her a Fraggle), but it's way cute. She won't leave the barrettes or clips in, or they won't stay in, but if you use those tiny tiny rubber bands, not the fabric type ones, but the real rubber bands you can get it to stay in all day.

16. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

I have never cut bangs on my girls. They are now 4 and 6. Every morning I clip back the hair and then put it in a ponytail. That way they don't get food or anything else in there hair.

17. cacorsi

cacorsi Active Member

I cut my daughters bangs without even thinking about it! But now I see what you guys are saying...keeping it one length. Mine are at daycare also and I didn't like the idea of her having hair in her eyes.

18. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I vote for use a clip. I cut my oldest DD's bangs, and honestly it was a pain to keep cutting them. Then at 5.5 years old she wanted to grow them out and it took so long. With Emilie, I have never cut her bangs and it's so much easier. :good:

19. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

QUOTE(itsnancycozzi @ Apr 18 2009, 06:21 PM) [snapback]1279341[/snapback]
    My DD does not have enough hair to cut yet, but if she had bangs that were getting in her eyes, I would probably trim them. In our case, that might be when she's 10 :)

LOL!!!!!! :laughing:

One of my girls has looooong bangs & hair & I just clip hers back or put in a top ponytail - luckily she doesnt mind having things in her hair (for now!)
    The other has a mullett with short bangs...it's quite the look ;)

20. canucktwins

canucktwins Well-Known Member

I voted other because I just use tiny elastics from the dollar store. Dd can't take them out at all. I tried every clip I could find but she always ripped them out and chewed on them. Dd has really fine blonde hair so that's probably part of the problem. I remove them every night in the tub(doesn't hurt when it's wet).

21. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

welll since my 2 have little hair i just use the headbands i make:) I will try making clippies with the grips on them hopefully in a few months when they get a bit more hair:) I think for super fine hair bangs work great! you can pull the back into a pony or piggy tails:) Pm if you are interested in some clippies i can make for the girls:)

22. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I voted for clips. We mostly use the little rubber bands and do pony tails on top or piggy tails. They leave those alone but not clips...now that my dd#1 is older her hair is all one length and super easy to do!

23. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Nadia had bangs when she was around 2, and it was a huge mistake, because her hair is so curly that it just doesn't work. So, never again. We just use headbands or ponytail holders or barettes.

With Karina, I'm still debating. Her hair is a lot finer, and curly at the ends, but I think she could wear bangs. And her forehead is so freaking huge that I think she needs them! :) But, I haven't cut them yet, because I can brush her hair back and it will stay -- it doesn't get in her eyes.

24. Cynthia3200

Cynthia3200 Well-Known Member

No bangs here. Only one of the girls has hair long enough to consider but I won't be cutting bangs on either of them.

25. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the posts. I bought some little elastics and put a little pony tail on the top of their head last night. It sticks straight up. Unfortunately, I really don't like the look. I wish I did. It would be an easy solution. DH apparently doesn't like it either because he took them out. :rolleyes:

26. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

I wasn't crazy about the Pebbles look when I first started putting Clara's hair up either. I got so many compliments on how cute she looked though that I just went with it to endure the growing out phase. Now that her hair is getting longer I pull it back with a band and move it towards the back of her hair and it lays down very nicely and barely sticks up at all. I also use a little defrizz product on her hair when it is damp to help it lay down better.