Girl scouts cost

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ljcrochet, Oct 19, 2012.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was wondering what you pay for your daughters to be in girl scouts.

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We paid $12 a girl for national dues and then $36 for each girl for local troop dues + uniform (vest and all patches).

The troop dues would be less if it did not include the vest.

Our troop dues cover patches, field trips, snack, and craft supplies. We pay nothing for the rest of the year and they meet every three weeks.

I think the fees would vary on what it includes (field trips/snack/craft supplies), how often you meet, and if you have to cover uniform/patches!

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

ours was $52 - $12 for national and $40 for troop dues - which I imagine covers patches, crafts etc...they meet weekly and each girl rotates who brings snack...

4. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

National registration is $12, it includes a lot of things, including insurance for the girl any time she is a a GS sponsored event. Be it a meeting, a project, a cookie booth etc.

Individual troops can have dues each week, month, or year. Our troop has in the past done $1/wk, $2/wk, and this year $5/mo. This is to pay for troop activities, badges, snacks (sometimes), and special occasions for the troop. Some events and trips will cost extra. Most leaders put in way more than other parents, mostly because there is just never enough to cover everything.

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Last year it cost more for us because we paid for our vests. This year, our group paid half the fees and we paid the rest, so I paid $12 for fees, $14 for the book we would use ($7.50/ea). And like Molly, the girls pay $1 at each meeting to cover cost of crafts or other things we want to do.

6. Dani Boyle

Dani Boyle Well-Known Member

My troop pays the $12 for dues to be a GS then the parents have to buy the vests for the girls. The troop bought the journey books because we had a lot of money left from last year and since we haven't done a journey before I figured it wouldn't hurt to take care of it. We don't have troop dues.

7. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't believe how much our troop went up from daisy's to brownies. Last year we had the girl scout dues, $20 for supplies and $16 for the daisy shirts. We did pay extra for a few activities (like $5 for mother's day tea, and $8 for Daddy daughter ice cream party).

This year the girl scouts dues (i know i paid $60 but i think that include money for me to be cookie mom. I think it was $24 per girl), $40 for the troop for crafts and stuff and $20 (this will be used to purchase troop numerals, badges, etc for your child's Brownie Vest)

[font="arial][size="2"]We only meet once a month and at each meeting one girl bring in the snack. I[/size][/font]

8. Julie L

Julie L Well-Known Member

Our troop is usually $50 on top of the Girl Scout member ship fee. That covers all their crafts and patches for the year. When we went to the corn maze recently, the girls paid their admission and the troop paid for the food we brought in. This year they are also getting troop Tshirts. My co-leader also uses the money to pay for the materials to make each girl a scrapbook. They get the scrapbook at bridging and we start a new one for the new level.

Each girl buys her own vest and patches. We are second year Juniors this year, so we don't have that expense.

9. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I stopped being a leader because so much money was coming out of my own pocket. I tried just charging a $2 per month craft fee and parents complained about that. We would buy the vest and their dues out of our cookie money.