Getting up in the morning

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by FGMH, Jan 28, 2013.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I am looking for ideas to make our mornings easier. The children have to get up at 6.15 am on the days when they go to pre-school. DD is usually awake around 6 am, often coming for cuddles to our bed. But when it is time to get up, she just does - NOTHING. I literally have to lift her out of the bed, carry her to the bathroom and undress her, sometimes also wash her. Under violent protest and tears. Then she will usually start helping with the morning routine, getting dressed etc. quite happily.

They are usually asleep by 7.30 - 7.45 pm and nap 1-2 hours most days, especially at pre-school. So I think they are getting enough sleep although she says she is tired.

She is not overly keen on pre-school, so that may have something to do with it. We rarely have that struggle on the weekends. But, I don't force the issue on the weekends as our whole pace is more leisurely anyway and she will get up on her own eventually.

I hate having to start most mornings with conflict and tears. Anyone BTDT? Any helpful ideas?

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Been there DOING it!! Hannah is like a teenager (or her mother) in the am and I have to drag her out of bed and her pjs, she's obsessed with them and as soon as we get home back in her pjs she goes!:/. Anyways....the boys just in the last couple months have been more helpful, even if slow, in getting ready but we still struggle and results in us frustrated and yelling some mornings!!:/

3. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My kids love to be in their pjs too. I now give them a choice between eating breakfast or getting dressed first. Maybe giving her a choices might help her to feel that she is in control. E.g. do you first want to wash your face and then get dressed. You can then remind her of her choice if she is not co-operating. I also often use the counting down method, five more minutes of snuggling and then we have to get up, 4 more minutes ............ etc. Good luck.

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Thank you, it is good to know I am not alone. But you made me dread the teenage years already ...

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I started telling them they can't watch tv or do anything until they're dressed. It's helped down some but it's still a struggle some days.

I would put them in bed earlier personally though.

1 person likes this.
  6. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

What about a basic behaviour chart with a sticker for each thing and small reward each day or week. Doesn't have to be a major chart. Clothes, teeth, hair, breakfast, with little box beside each to put sticker.

7. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

I have mine eat breakfast in their pjs. Keeps their daytime clothes from breakfast spills.