Getting really nervous!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Ericka B, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

Ok I am a first time mom so all this is very new to me. I am almost 33 weeks and it is just kind of starting to hit me that I have no idea what to do with these babies once I have them! I have never even changed a diaper if you can believe that, and DH definitly hasn't. It is all just starting to seem a little overwhelming. People keep making comments like "You're really going to have your hands full" or from people who have had twins "It is the hardest job you are ever going to have." Not that I don't know that it's going to be hard but where are the words of encouragement? Can anyone tell me of any books that can give me some kind of guidance on some of the basics, or is it just something you figure out?

2. traci_roo

traci_roo Well-Known Member

These will also be our first and although I have changed a few diapers, that is the least of my worries. I am worried about having 24/7 full responsibility of two infants! :eek:
    How will I know what to do and when to do it is my biggest thing. I think these are normal fears (I hope so anyways). I know it will be hard, but I don't think my DH really thinks it will be hard.

3. melpissa

melpissa Well-Known Member

It is totally normal to be scared out of your mind. As for changing baby diapers, ask the nurse for help.....she should be more then willing to show you and help you become more comfortable with it. When your babies arrive their will be a combination of feelings (especially when you actually take them home) of absolute FEAR and JOY. I remember my husband and I saying to each other when we brought our son home, "They're really going to trust us with this baby, all by ourselves?" Soon you will get into a routine and you can't imagine your life without them.

My biggest piece of advice. ASK QUESTIONS, of your doctor, the nurses at the hospital and your pediatrician. Ask other moms for their solutions and what they did to make it through.

4. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

A lot of it is instinct, and it will just come -- I, too, had never changed a diaper before having my daughter. Heck, I didn't even like babies, LOL. But what I did was read everything I could get my hands on.....mostly stuff like Happiest Baby on the Block (really, really helpful), and Babywise (very controversial, but lots of common sense on structuring the baby's eat-wake-sleep pattern, which worked wonders for my kiddo).

If you really feel lost, you might want to get a book like Baby 411 (by the Baby Bargains authors), which covers all the basics, I think....

I remember feeling totally clueless at the hospital -- my munchkin roomed in with me, and she SCREAMED every time she pooped the tiniest bit. The first poop -- meconium -- is really gross, too. Well, I had no idea why she was screaming, and I was desperately afraid someone was going to come in and take her away from me, because clearly I had no idea what I was doing! Eventually, I figured out that I had to change her diaper.....and in the morning, a very nice nurse came and swaddled her tightly, and asked if she could give her a pacifier....and then she slept for awhile. I was a mess.

But a week later, I was doing this stuff in my sleep, and felt like a pro -- and you will too, I swear.

5. AimeeS

AimeeS Well-Known Member

Hi Erika,
    Totally normal fears - I'm a little over a week behind you and I can totally relate. I too have really not changed diapers before. I'm hoping the nurses help a lot!!! :) My husband came home from work yesterday and he told me about 2 comments from coworkers that are similar to what people are saying to you. It got me scared but my DH was great. People said similar things b4 we got married "OH your life will never be the same after your married" but we LOVE being married - I think some people just want you to be miserable. You're going to be a terrific mom and even if you learn everything as you go - nobody knows anything w/ their first, right? :rolleyes:

6. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i've already gotten these comments and i'm only 10 weeks along. i get, "oh my god you're gonna have SUCH a HARD time!" or "it's gonna be SO HARD!" i just say, "this is a blessing, not a burden". my husband and i look at it this way: God doesn't give you more than you can handle. obviously he felt we can handle two at a time, so he blessed us with two.
    either other people have had a really hard time so they want you to have a hard time, too, cuz they couldn't bare to hear that it was a joy for you. or they've never had kids and don't have a clue what they're talking about.