Getting kids back on West Coast Time -- suggestions

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dezmitch, Apr 4, 2011.

1. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

We are visiting on the East Coast for two weeks (here now) and my kids have basically adjusted well and went to East Coast time. Bedtime 8:30pm (at home bedtime is at 7:30pm), nap at 2pm (at home nap at 1pm). Anyways -- when we get back to the West Coast we will arrive at 5:30pm West Coast Time, and by the time I get our luggage, etc I'm guessing it will be close to 6:15pm West Coast time. If I know my little ones they will fall asleep on the way home from the airport (and won't take a nap on the plane) -- so when we leave the airport at 6:15pm they will be down for the night. What would you do? My dad said that when I get home I should wake them up, keep them up for 2 hours and then put them to bed around 9 or 9:30pm West Coast time and that might help with the adjustment. Thoughts???????????????????

By the way -- my little guys are 2 1/2 -- almost 3.

2. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

I would NOT wake them up...I would let them sleep after a long day of travel. Over the next days after your return, you will have a better idea of how much tweeking you will have to do.

Just my 2 cents!
    Sarah

3. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing. For me anytime I try and force anything it just back fires on me. How long did it take for them to adjust when you got there?

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Whenever we have a time change, we just wing it for the first day/night, and then try to follow our usual schedule starting the first morning that we wake up at home. I think that helps get them back on track faster than any changes you can make to help them "adjust."

I also would not mess with a sleeping child. Mine never actually make the transition from car to home without waking, but if they want to go straight back to bed, we let them.

5. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I would also not wake them. I think they will start to adjust the first day you are home.

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We spend a few weeks on the East Coast every summer and have to deal with the time change. My advice is: don't wake them! Let them sleep - they may sleep from 6:15pm all the way until the next morning. My girls have usually adjusted fairly quickly back to Mountain time... maybe a day or two of slightly weird sleep schedules, but nothing major.

7. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

Thanks Ladies - I appreciate the reply. I think that once we land in Seattle I'm going to change their diapers and put them in their pajamas in preparation for them to fall asleep on the way home so that I can just transfer to their cribs. If they don't wake I'll leave them be, if they do then I'll deal with it. I just pray that I don't get a 4am awakening :db: