Getting bf baby to take a bottle..? Help!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Katheros, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and has been breastfed her entire life.   I'm feeling a little burned out (I guess that's the best way to put it) on being her only source of food and comfort.  I have started pumping so I'm looking for advice or tips on giving her a bottle.  My husband tried giving her one last night and she wouldn't take it.  She's never had a bottle and refused a pacifier when she was younger.   He did try during a 'comfort feed' rather than an 'I'm hungry' feed so I'm wondering if that will make a difference.   I'm just hoping I didn't wait too long.. 

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You could try skipping bottles and going straight to cups. There's some good ideas at the bottom of this article. Scroll to the part for babies over 4 months: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/alternative-feeding/

I would also just encourage you because you're almost there! She'll be starting solids sometime in the next few months and then it won't be all you anymore. :yahoo: :)

3. Katheros

I'm not going to stop but I would like to be able to leave the house alone.  I know, crazy idea!

4. Katheros

My husband tried again shortly after I started this topic.  He said she was very interested in the bottle and did take a couple sucks but he thinks she was unhappy about the cold temperature - it had sat in the fridge since I pumped it last night.  

I think we'll just try going right to a cup but with warm milk next time. 

5. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

You may also want to try a faster flow nipple.  I had a pretty fast letdown and my kids got gave up on the bottle quickly when using a slower flow nipple.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know - that last bit was preemptive encouragement in case she flat out refuses milk from any other source. ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'm struggling with the same thing. Caleb has taken a bottle before, but only 4 or 5 times and that was 2 months ago. We tried the other night and he refused. Chris and I had gone out to dinner with friends and we left all 3 with his aunt. She said he never really got fussy, but every time she tried the bottle, he either just chewed on it or pushed it out of his mouth. We were gone for about 4 hours, so maybe he just wasn't hungry enough to take the bottle. 

I've "practiced" a few times since and he does the same thing with me. But again, it's never been when he would have been really hungry. 

And I totally get how you are feeling a little burnt out. I've been feeling a bit like that too. I think school starting and having that dinner out will help though. And I've gotten to where on Chris' days off, I will leave without the baby occasionally. Even if it's just to make a quick run to the store. Just that little bit of quiet time helps me. And yesterday, I left the baby with Chris long enough to take the big kids to the movies. I was really nervous, but he ended up sleeping the entire time we were gone. 

Hang in there!